New to Smart Phones and Problems with Calendar SyncSupport

Last Updated:

1. LouME

LouME New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and to smart phones. I resisted getting a smart phone as long as I could but I finally gave in. When asked by colleagues if I like it, I find myself saying it's everything I worried it would be.

I upgraded to an LG Ally with Verizon. I do like the phone, but the calendar app is driving me CRAZY! I keep my calendar and task list on AnyTime Organizer. I used to sync this with a Dell PDA. I cannot sync it with the Ally, but I can sync it with Outlook. The phone wants me to sync with Google. I have a Google account, so I sync AnyTime to Outlook, and Outlook to Google. (I've already heard what you're thinking: just use Google.) I am new to Google too, and do not like the clean appearance of Google compared to Outlook.

Bottom line: When using the process above, I was getting duplicate events. A tech friend did a soft reset on the phone and cleared it out so I could start over. Now, when I run the process described, I get only some events on the phone, and not all, even though the calendars in both Outlook and Google look exactly correct. I wiped out my Google calendar to reset it, and the phone still shows events.

What am I doing wrong? (Please be nice!)

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

LouMe,

I don't have the Ally. I have the Droid X. I can't help you, but I can welcome you. :) I am going to move this post over to the Ally section and request help from the folks there, who know the phone. Welcome!

Steven

3. LouME

Steven,

Thanks for the welcome, and for passing my post to the proper forum!:)

4. gndmepyon

gndmepyon Well-Known Member

Because of bugs in Android 2.1 all things related to exchange (outlook) may, and usually do, have sync issues. Lg has indicated that Ally most likely will not get 2.2, so, they are working on fixing the sync issues on their end. Their first attempt (V8 OTA software upgrade) was quite unsuccessful even though it added a whole new calendar app.

Long story short....for the time being Google Calendar is the only reliable way to go (that I know of). Although I'm sure some of the guys here might know of a killer app to use if you really just cannot stand google.

5. LouME

Thanks for your reply! Bear with me while I make sure I understand your message.

I had already sync'd the Ally with Google a couple days ago. I then syc'd AnyTime with Outlook and Outlook with Google yesterday. I went from partial entries on some days (after a soft reset to clear everything) to duplicate entries on dates that had prior entries, and new entries on those that had nothing.

I am understanding your message to say that the Ally sync's OK with Google, but I am gaving the sync problems coming over from Google. It appears that when I sync, the old entries are not cleared, rather, Google just adds entries over what I'd already had.