New to smartphone looking at Aria + font size questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. mmiller2002

mmiller2002 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looking at the Aria as my first smartphone. I like the size compared to the larger smartphones. Is it a good phone for the nonexperienced user? I'd like to check yahoo[​IMG] email, browse the web now and then, get directions, etc.

Does anyone know if android phones can enlarge the text messaging[​IMG] font like iphones can? iphones use the "accessibility" setting to select font size.

Thanks,
    Mike

Advertisement
  2. Mythic

Mythic Well-Known Member

the stock text message app lacks settings for font change and size....i use handcent which lets you customize just about everything from styles,fonts,sizes etc...and showing message in a IM conversation style for each contact is very nice and quite handy... the directions works good... i don't use at&t's map due to it costs but you get google maps which is free and comes with google navigator which works pretty good... you can check all your email easily but for Yahoo you will have to get their app from the market... for some reason the email app does not support Yahoo...

mmiller2002 likes this.
  3. mmiller2002

Thanks for the reply. Is handscent free? Regarding yahoo email, are you saying i cannot just go to yahoo mail and sign-in like i do on my PC? do i have to buy a yahoo app?

Thanks,
    Mike

4. CartOverlord

CartOverlord Active Member

yes handscent is free. so is chomp sms which is almost the same thing. you can change the color size and even font style. if you think the samsung captivate is too big then that might be the only reason to get the aria.

mmiller2002 likes this.
  5. backflipper

backflipper Member

Yeah you have to get a seperate app for yahoo mail and its nice and free

mmiller2002 likes this.
  6. mmiller2002

Thanks all! Yeah, right now I think that the Captivate is too big.

7. mmiller2002

Got the Aria this past weekend. So far, a cool little phone.

Anyone know if there's an app to put it into sleep mode, like pressing the power button, only on the screen?

8. mmiller2002

And another few questions if its OK.

When using the internet, is there a way to go "forward" to a page you visited once you go "back" using the fixed button at the bottom of the phone?

Also, is there any way to set the phone to wake-up by pressing the optical joystick button?

Finally, does the built-in keyboard have directional arrow keys to move the cursor to points within typed text for adding/deleting characters? My fat fingers sometimes have problems precisely putting the cursor between the letters i want.

Thanks.

PS, is there a better thread/subforum for these newbie usage questions?

9. bikedogrun

bikedogrun Well-Known Member

The "back" key will not do it, you'll need to use the browsers own capability to page forward/back.

Using the optical joystick for wake would be nice, there is WidgetLocker which works great on my Droid, I've had mixed results on the Aria.

For cursor movement, have you tried using the optical joystick? Works pretty well... ;)

/BD :cool:

mmiller2002 likes this.
  10. anika200

anika200 Well-Known Member

Wow, I did not know that. I have been trying to figure that out forever. Thanks.

11. mmiller2002

So, I'm trying handcent. How do i turn off the stock messaging app? Thanks

12. Mythic

Mythic Well-Known Member

easy... open the stock messenger app... hit menu/settings/ scroll down and un-check received notification ... that way you don't get the double notification

13. mmiller2002

is there good free app that tells you what's running in the background on the phone?

14. CGG318

CGG318 Member

You may have already figured this out but ... pressing the fixed menu button brings up a forward button.

15. Mythic

Mythic Well-Known Member

systempanel lite on the market will give every ounce of info about your phone.... with live graphs of cpu usage ,memory, what apps are running system process, net work info, device info ...etc...

16. mmiller2002

How do I get handcent to recognize email addresses? the regular messaging app does. Thanks

17. Mythic

Mythic Well-Known Member

when you open up handcent ...in the upper left hand corner hit the pen and paper icon ... just type in the email address to who you want to text ... type in your message and hit send... when they get the text via email it will show from your phone number's att email address ( in case no one knows... your phones email is like this xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net ( x= your number) and when they respond to number@mms.att.net it will come back to you as a text message or actually a mms ... hope that helps

18. xraychick01

xraychick01 Well-Known Member

Is handcent available through the android market or does the phone have to be rooted to use it?

19. mmiller2002

market