1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

New to smartphone world - best placefinder

Last Updated:

1. Bklyn 1

Bklyn 1 Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 21, 2010

I am new to the smart phone world...let alone the Android world. I am amazed that the technology is where it is. I have been searching for hours abd hours for "best" and "essential" apps for a guy starting out. So far, the ones I have downloaded are Shop savvy, the Coupons app, Astrid, Keyring, Pandora and Great Dad. A lot of my other apps came with the phone. I have a mytouch slide on the T-mobile network.

Any essential app recommendations are appreciated, but in my research I have seen that there a zillion "place finding" apps. I've been using Google maps. I tried Aloqa, but it does not seem to work well. I noticed there are the following:

Aloqa, Yelp, Places, around me, citysearch, Where and a few others.

I would appreciate recommendations for the best app for simply finding places by category. Preferably one that ties into the maps and navigation. I realize they are all a little different.

I have found that every type of tool I want seems to have 2-5 different apps all performing a similar function. It appears difficult to weed out the "best in class". A lot of apps seem redundant.

It seems the app types with the most redundancy are place-finding apps, note/task apps, Craig'slist reading apps, back-up apps and Wikipedia apps.

It would be great to have a class by class comparison, but none of the Android sites seem to approach app ratings in that manner.

2. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    where is very good for a number of different tasks
    places directory is great for "what is near to me" searches

I carry both along with Yelp (restaurants) and Flixter (Movies)

There isn't a one app covers it all app for Android, yet.
    Bklyn 1 likes this.