• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Smartphones, need to either fix PC Studio or replace it

DocBadwrench

Feb 9, 2010
I am completely new to this stuff, so apologies for any grossly incorrect assumptions. First, the deal:

I just purchased a Samsung Behold II cell phone. Main issues that I cannot resolve:

Cannot connect it to either my Win 7 or Win XP machines after installing both the USB drivers and the software itself. Once software is installed, it doesn't see the phone, nor can I update it. The error I get is:

"Cannot connect to update server.

Either an Internet connection or the update server is not available.
Make sure you are connected to the Internet and try to update later."

After a number of searches, I see that there are others with this issue, regardless of phone type.

Is there a way to easily copy data to the phone with either this method, or via USB connection? Currently, I have to remove the SD-card, put it in a reader, connect it, and copy items over. I am unable to copy items when in Mass Storage mode. The process starts, but then either hangs or disconnects.

I am interested in doing whatever I can save voiding any warranties. Also, I'm not super-techie-wonder-wiz with these new gadgets because I'm new to them.

I have other issues, chief among them figuring out how to sync via iTunes (the family uses ipods), and I've downloaded a few programs/apps but to no avail.

In the mean time, though, I want to get movies and pictures onto this thing and don't like the idea of having to pull the shell off my phone to do it every time.

Thanks in advance for any quickie-guidance (or links) you can shoot toward me.

Best regards,
Matt

its in your manual PLEASE browse through it ....behold 2 is not compatible with NPS...Also go to the market and download ASTRO file manager ,, forget about the behold name , you need to do some research on ANDROID because thats the core OS of your "cell phone"? >smartphone<......WELCOME to the Android world .

How to copy music to your Android phone from Windows – Simple Help

Upvote 0
I have a thick, poorly designed manual, but I haven't gone through it yet. I have installed Astro file manager, which is great for accessing files when I'm using my mobile-victrola - sorry - smartphone.

I'm actually searching for a Windows app that will allow me to copy/move/delete files when the smartphone is connected to my PC (via USB or even wireless).

I don't know what NPS means. Perhaps Norton Plum Sacks. I will do research on that one, too.

And as I write, I am searching for programs that will tell me the core OS of my smarty-pants-phone. ;)

Thanks!

P.S. - that how to copy music link was one that I found. I wasn't able to get that to work, though. All my copies through Windows eventually hung/failed. I am using Windows 7 64-bit and am pretty sure I'm not the only Win7 user having issues with this. I found a lot of similar questions and few answers.

Upvote 0
You do not need an special program to access files directly on the phone when its connected to a computer.

When you connect the USB cable the phone will say "USB Connected" in the notification bar. Tap that and you will get the option to "Mount" your phone's SD card. This will make is appear to the computer as a normal USB hard disk that you can browse, add, and delete files from.

This will not give you access to the files that Android needs to run however. Its possible to get this access but I recommend learning more about the phone and Android first if you are planning on going this route.

As far as what your "core OS" is - the Behold II runs Android 1.5. There are only rumors of an update being released eventually - and there is a community project to produce one themselves but nothing functional yet.

P.S. Your manual that you haven't read yet is "think and poorly designed" to give you answers to exactly these questions. If you have more I suggest trying it first - I'm sure it will be quicker than the 9 hours you waited for this answer here.

Upvote 0
NPS = NEW Pc Studio ...
If you are getting the mount to work then files should transfer if not , then it might be an issue with windows 7 . What sdcard are you using ?.... *?G , name , Class ??. If its the one that came with the phone get rid of it now and get another Brand ...

BTW there is a program that does what you looking for , but it requires a rooted device , read more on Root ...
Go here

link to droidexplorer
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=558108

Upvote 0
Nu11u5 : Point well taken, sir. I will read the manual. However, I have done the mount thing a number of times and it hasn't worked. My file copies stall en-route from my hard drive to the SD card.

Oh, and I have no interest in seeing any special Android files when I'm connecting via USB. Think of my skill level. The thing would likely spontaneously combust if I tried to get fancy. :)

Dan0Zone : I am pretty sure that there are some Windows 7 issues. I thought of trying to manually update the USB drivers with what I downloaded most recently. But I can't figure out what part of the device manager I need to go in and manually update.

By the way, I'm using the default 2GB sdcard that came with the phone. But in a few days my SanDisk 681836 16GB microSDHC card will arrive. Hopefully, not being a generic, it may help.

Thanks to both of you. I bow humbly and pledge to do my frickin' homework a little more. :)

Upvote 0
Nu11u5 : Point well taken, sir. I will read the manual. However, I have done the mount thing a number of times and it hasn't worked. My file copies stall en-route from my hard drive to the SD card.

I had that same issue once as well. I was not able to figure out what caused it but restarting the phone seemed to fix it. I have not had that issue since, but then again I have only had the device for 2 weeks now.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0
I am completely new to this stuff, so apologies for any grossly incorrect assumptions. First, the deal:

I just purchased a Samsung Behold II cell phone. Main issues that I cannot resolve:

Cannot connect it to either my Win 7 or Win XP machines after installing both the USB drivers and the software itself. Once software is installed, it doesn't see the phone, nor can I update it. The error I get is:

"Cannot connect to update server.

Either an Internet connection or the update server is not available.
Make sure you are connected to the Internet and try to update later."
After a number of searches, I see that there are others with this issue, regardless of phone type.

Is there a way to easily copy data to the phone with either this method, or via USB connection? Currently, I have to remove the SD-card, put it in a reader, connect it, and copy items over. I am unable to copy items when in Mass Storage mode. The process starts, but then either hangs or disconnects.

I am interested in doing whatever I can save voiding any warranties. Also, I'm not super-techie-wonder-wiz with these new gadgets because I'm new to them.

I have other issues, chief among them figuring out how to sync via iTunes (the family uses ipods), and I've downloaded a few programs/apps but to no avail.

In the mean time, though, I want to get movies and pictures onto this thing and don't like the idea of having to pull the shell off my phone to do it every time.

Thanks in advance for any quickie-guidance (or links) you can shoot toward me.

Best regards,
Matt

Doc, Here ya go: Download this http://support.t-mobile.com/doc/tm30311.pdf (Behold 2 Manual)

Save it to your desktop
and search for whatever you're looking for. Then, if you don't find an answer, come back to this forum and run a "Search" for the problem that you are having. If you don't see the topic covered, THEN ask in this forum for help.

Welcome to the forum and see you around soon!

NV

Upvote 0
I'm on WIN7 64 Bit and I'm running New PC Studio (you can google it). It works in terms of opening directories and moving things around. I found that it does require that you have a stock Samsung USB cable. I tried an aftermarket cable I got on ebay and it was a no-go.

What? Why would it possibly need a Samsung USB cable, USB cables are universal. Hence the U. Unless the aftermarket cable is for charging only (so only has the 5V pin and ground)...otherwise, that's just weird. (or the aftermarket cable is just defective).

Upvote 0
What? Why would it possibly need a Samsung USB cable, USB cables are universal. Hence the U. Unless the aftermarket cable is for charging only (so only has the 5V pin and ground)...otherwise, that's just weird. (or the aftermarket cable is just defective).

Trust me, I thought the same thing. After a bit of digging in the forums, I found this to be the case with the aftermarket cables. I don't know if a namebrand manufacturer cable would have the same issue but a lot of generic cables apparently fail when it comes to the data transfer portion on the BH2. I can use it for USB charging though, so it's not a complete waste (I have a usb adapter car charger for my headset and it's nifty to switch out cables for headset or handset). I bought a BH2 with all new accessories and that cable works flawlessly. I contacted the guy who sold me the generic cable and, funny enough, he reported that he had been notified by another BH2 owner of the same issue :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones