New to smartphones, new to Android!Support

Last Updated:

1. alex_ncfc

alex_ncfc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Newbie here and as the title suggests, I'm looking to hopefully get some answers to some questions I have regarding my new X10 phone! Never had a smartphone or Android before so this is all totally new to me.

If anyone can help me get to the bottom of these things then that would be great!

1. Phone security - I've just moved from my Sony Ericsson C510 and have had other SE phones over the last 4 or 5 years and all have had the option to have a SIM lock and a phone lock, so basically you enter two pins at startup. I have managed to set the SIM lock on my X10 so it asks for a code at each startup, but the only other options I see for a lock are the pattern drawing thing, which admittedly I haven't attempted to set up yet. Is there anything where I can enter a code-based phone lock like on my old C510?

2. I have managed to transfer all of my contacts from my C510 using the send-all option over bluetooth, but is there anything I can do to transfer all of my texts to the X10?

3. Wallpaper. On all of my previous SE phones, it has always given me the option to use either a standard picture size or a maximised size for my phone wallpapers. On the X10 it forces me to crop my picture to a size which is not ideal! (e.g - if i wanted a pic of someone as my wallpaper, it would probably just cover their eyes!) To make this worse, once the selection is selected, the wallpaper is horribly zoomed and blocky. Surely I am doing something wrong and this can be resolved??

4. Where is the file system? Unlike my previous phones there is no file manager.

5. Is it possible to switch apps when they are running? If I am running an App, Opera for example, and I press the back/home buttons, the only way I can get back to opera is to goto the main menu and click on it. Surely it should be running in the tray at the top (like ebuddy does when I run that, even after I've pressed back/home)

I'm sure I could probably think of more things but these are my main questions at the moment! Any ideas would be great.

Cheers,

Alex

Advertisement
  2. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Ok can't answer it all but will start at the bottom and answer what I can..

5) To quickly switch between apps long press the home key and it gives you the last six apps you were using to select from.

4) You need to download a file manager from app market... try Linda or Astro they both have their own good points so I have both depending on what I want to do.

1) Beware the pattern lock!!! No its OK as long as you don't lock yourself out as it seems to be a bit 'temperamental' on the google account details you have to enter to unlock it. The only solution if it won't accept them is to do a repair via PC Companion/SEUS and it basically does a factory reset without giving you the opportunity to save/backup your data. There are apps on the market to give you lock access, have a search.

And the rest I will leave to someone who knows! Hope the above helped.

alex_ncfc likes this.
  3. TheManWithAPlan

TheManWithAPlan Well-Known Member

3. I'm sure once you get a file manager you can set a pic as your wallpaper.. it may have a cropping box but im sure you can adjust it by holdin the border of the box n slowly expanding the box til you fit your picture in.. maybe the same method can be used without really the need of a file manager?

Hope its of some use!!

4. Oliver89

Oliver89 New Member

hey ... i have a X10 ... Bought it recently, all of a sudden i received a msg saying ... downloading new software, what exactly is this new software i dont know... ??

5. rosered

The new software is probably the update to R2BA02* the last digit seems to be quite variable depending on where in the world you are and what carrier you are with. I went to 023 then 026 at the end of last week. Depending where you were starting from you should see increased battery life and faster/smoother moving around the phone ie slide lock/scrolling etc.

Go to menu> settings> about phone and then scroll to bottom it gives you build details and baseband version etc.

6. wynney666

wynney666 Well-Known Member

3. I used the zedge app. did the trick.

alex_ncfc likes this.
  7. alex_ncfc

alex_ncfc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for recommending Zedge, some good wallpapers on there. But I would like to be able to use my custom wallpapers :(

Just wondering how the signalling icon system goes on this phone? On my C510 I had icons for 3G and H (HSDPA) but so far I've only seen the 3G icon on the X10. I've also looked at the PDF manual on http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/765/072/1268993879/X10i__UG_EN_1234-4354_1.pdf and can only see the 3G icons - no mention of HSDPA - does this phone even support it?

Some more frustrations: with regards to the messaging screen, why do I have to type the name of the person I want to text in order for their name to come up on a drop down list? Can't I just select who I want to text like on my old phone? Or is this a 1.6 issue? Also if I am being REALLY picky I do miss my stats, like call time, number of texts sent, etc lol. Are these not available?

8. rosered

Try Handcent SMS app free from the market, its a great app and might solve some of your probs with texting. This will give you number of texts sent.

As for call time, if you go to dialler then call log and quick tap on a call, it gives you call length and time/date info. Not sure about totals for all calls made tho.

9. Brumbjorn

Brumbjorn Active Member

Or try the test Menu. That the repairshops use. :)

To access Test Menu: On the key lock screen, press the following button combinations: menu > back > back > menu > back > menu > menu > back

Under Service tests you have total call time. :)

10. TheManWithAPlan

TheManWithAPlan Well-Known Member

if you want to use custom wallpapers my post further up is stil there to help ya..

11. brherron

brherron New Member

Im new to the smartphone world and love my vibrant so far. I am not sure of the best way to go about downloading movies to my sd card. Could someone please give me the basics on how to do this? I really just need a good website and a few starter points. Thanks

12. rosered

Hey there, welcome to the world of android. You have found yourself in the Sony Ericsson Section and whilst android phones have lots in common, each manufacturer does things slightly differently. I could just move your post over but if I give you the link to the Samsung Galaxy S forum Samsung Galaxy S - Android Forums you are more likely to find the specific help you are looking for over there.

Sony provide a PC Companion that has a media application with it for moving things to the sd card, having had old dumb phones from Samsung in the past I know that they also provide PC based packages to help you out.

Good luck.