1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

New to Tasker; have a few questions

Last Updated:

1. hdevine

hdevine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just started using Tasker yesterday based off of the high praise it got here. I was using Locale but it seemed like Tasker is more powerful in the long run so I thought I'd give it a shot. Well, I'm playing with it and setting up some profiles, but I have a few questions that the Tasker Wiki or these forums couldn't answer for me.

1) How can I assign more than 1 task to a profile? For example, I have a task where the volume levels get set where I want them. I have a profile where I use that when I'm sleeping. However, I'd like the ringer to go to 100% if certain people call (my cell phone is my only phone; no land line; so if one of my kids or family calls at 3am in an emergency (God forbid)), I want to hear it. Do I have to make 1 "super task" with all of this in it? Or can I configure it to use more than 1 task?

2) Is there a way that I have Tasker configured that when I get in the car, if it sees my Sync system, it automatically turns on the Bluetooth and connects? I currently do this manually, which isn't a big deal, but it would be cool if it just did it. I saw some mention of a car dock setting, but I'm not sure what that is or how to use it. I have mount that I set my phone in, but I don't think that applies.

I'm sure there's other questions I could ask, but these are the major ones for me for now. I'll second what everyone else is saying about Tasker: its a great app with a lot of power. I guess I'm still in that learning process.

Thanks,
    Harry

Advertisement
  2. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Tasker provides for one Enter Task and one Exit Task per profile. The only exception to this is a profile with an "event" context (i.e. phone ringing, received sms, notification click, etc.). Because the profile has no duration, both tasks are considered to be Enter Tasks.

For what you're describing, you would need multiple profiles anyway, because you want Tasker to react to multiple contexts in different ways. For example:

Profile: Quiet at Night
    Context: Time 22:00 - 06:00
    Enter Task:
    Silent Mode On
    Exit Task:
    Silent Mode Off

The exit task is optional, since when the profile exits at 06:00 Tasker will return the silent mode setting to it's previous state. The exit task is only required if you want silent mode to always be off when this profile exits, regardless of how it was set previously.

To override this setting for certain numbers/callers, you can do this:

Profile: Priority Caller
    Context: Incoming Call [Caller: mom/dad/wife/husband/kids]
    Enter Task:
    Silent Mode Off
    Ringer Volume 7

This will turn off silent mode and maximize the ringer volume any time one of the listed contacts calls. Using pattern matching for the callers can help keep the list short. If your family name is Smith, you could put in "*smith" so that calls from any contact who's name ends with "smith" would override your current ringer setting. See the help for more info on pattern matching.

If you want the Priority Caller profile to only apply when the Quiet at Night profile is active, the easiest way to do that is to add a time context to the Priority Caller profile. In the profiles list, tap on the Incoming Call context for the Priority Caller profile and select Add to add another context to the profile.

Regarding bluetooth, Tasker won't be able to see your Sync system unless bluetooth is already on. Unless you have a detectable dock (usually using a magnet in the dock), Tasker won't know that the phone is docked. Some people have used a combination of contexts to detect that they are in the car, such as power and orientation, but I don't think there is one way that has worked for everyone. If all you're looking to do is enable bluetooth, it's probably best to just enable it manually.

3. hdevine

hdevine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the input. I did see a post on LifeHacker where they suggested adding the "Incoming Call" event to my late night based on certain contacts and using the Invert checkbox, which should reverse the setting during that profile if one of those contacts calls. I'm going to try it and see how it does.

As for the bluetooth, I can do it manually for now as its not a big deal. I read somewhere that the "bluetooth near" setting was suggested similar to "wifi near". So its at least being discussed to hopefully in the future the app will have it. Not a big deal for now.

When I was setting up my night time profile, I did see a problem with entering the days of the week (and I forgot to mention in my original post). When I pick the days of the week, I can only pick 6 days. If I try to pick the 7th, I get "error: please select one or more months or days". Since I want the profile to be every night, I'm not sure why it won't let me pick every night. I can do a max of 6 days. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,
    Harry

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

If you have a time context for the profile already, and you want it to run every night, there is no need for a day-of-week context. Additional contexts will further RESTRICT when the profile activates.

The error message is certainly misleading though.

If you really do want a profile that is active all the time (something to "fall back on" when nothing else is active) you can specify a Time context of 00:00 - 23:59. It will start at the beginning of 00:00 and end and the end of 23:59, making it a 24-hour time period.

5. talespin

talespin Active Member

I'm using Utter (keep trying Speaktoit, keep uninstalling it) to make my phone less hands-on. Conveniently, it supports Tasker profiles. What I would like to be able to do is ask it to, say, "Create new" and have it not simply launch my Gnotes app, but the New Note shortcut. (Actually, what I *really* want to do is have it open the note app *and* start speech-to-text input, so I can dictate.) I've set up some very simple profiles but I'm out of my depth here. I can't even figure out how to break it down into components, as in, do this, then this....
    Ideas?