• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to the Atrix

Hi all!! My name is Kris and I am new to the Motorola Atrix and new to android world. Recently, my iphone started acting up and then refused to make or receive any calls. I had planned on getting a new iphone in september when the new phones came out. I went to my local At&t store and told the sales guy I was in the market for a new smartphone. He immediately started telling me about the atrix. It was a pretty tough sell for me because I am addicted to all things Apple. I was beginning to think this phone was over my head by I am slowly learning how it works. I would appreciate any help/advice you guys have for me!

Kris

Hey, I'm new too... although I haven't decided yet on which Android phone to get, the Atrix is topping my list.

Anyway, I've heard stories from my ATT store rep that folks that come from iPhone into Android end up RUNNING back to iPhone.

I guess the conception is that iPhone is built to be more "media-friendly" for those that like to Facebook and do a bunch of friend-networking-chat stuff.
Whereas the Android is similar, but allows the user to customize how it works (ie. developer environment). Of course, this is just me - and outsider-looking-in, who also has neither an Android or iPhone... heh.

But, I guess, I would encourage you to try to stick with it, through the thick and thin. I would predict the Android may present some frustration to you while you learn how to use it, but I also think this forum is a good place to learn.... so far as I've been here :D

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android, the Atrix and this fourm. On your phone, there is a widget tutorial that will explain how to use some of the features of the Atrix. (It should be a widget on one of your home screens.) The other thing you can do, is be specific as to what you need answers to or how to's, so that way we can give specific answers to help you.

I have heard other iPhone users, mention how switching to android was a big learning curve. My advice would be to play around with your phone, to get to know it, and be really patient as you learn.

Reactions: HankAtrix
Upvote 0
took me a bit to realize this but this is how I see it:

an android phone is a pretty cool, powerful handheld computer that can do all kinds of neat things. It can also make calls. All these things are done through 'apps.' You can pick and choose most of these apps, if you choose, to make the phone work they way you want it to, or look a specific way. Whether dialing numbers to make a call or sending a text, checking weather or just seeing what you have planned tomorrow, it's all done through specific apps. Some are basic to android ("vanilla" android if you will), some are customised by the phone maker (sense, touchwiz, blur) and some you can find in the market or elsewhere.

I'd say, just get used to how the phone works as it is, then start experimenting with new apps/widgets. For inspiration, check out the 'theme' or 'post your screen' threads. Lots of good stuff in there.

Upvote 0
took me a bit to realize this but this is how I see it:

an android phone is a pretty cool, powerful handheld computer that can do all kinds of neat things. It can also make calls. All these things are done through 'apps.' You can pick and choose most of these apps, if you choose, to make the phone work they way you want it to, or look a specific way. Whether dialing numbers to make a call or sending a text, checking weather or just seeing what you have planned tomorrow, it's all done through specific apps. Some are basic to android ("vanilla" android if you will), some are customised by the phone maker (sense, touchwiz, blur) and some you can find in the market or elsewhere.

I'd say, just get used to how the phone works as it is, then start experimenting with new apps/widgets. For inspiration, check out the 'theme' or 'post your screen' threads. Lots of good stuff in there.

very well said.

Upvote 0
I run the Atrix and my wife runs the iPhone, she is always asking me to do stuff for her on my phone and seems to get it in her hands as much as she can, everything about Android is blowing iPhone out of the water more and more everyday I think. Plus my home screen is so much cleaner and better looking than any iPhone out there! Ya I went there, lol!!

Upvote 0
Off topic... yes, but I just spent like 45 minuts writing a nice copairison and example of Android and Atrix specifically compaired to iPhones. Since it took a while ot type (several interuptions and Im a slow typer) it logs me out of the forum and when I click post, I lose the whole damn thing cause it logged me out. This has happened to e A LOT on this forum and is the major reason I barely post here anymore. If I get ambition to write it all over again, I will type it up in notepad and copy paiste it up here...

Anyway welcome to all the Android newbees. Take some time to play with your device and learn how to make it do what YOU want it to do. There is A LOT of info out there for learning cool, fun, useful things to do with your Android! A year later from switching from iPhone. I ams SUPER happy and screw with my Androids daily to learn new fun, cool stuff to do!

Upvote 0
Off topic... yes, but I just spent like 45 minuts writing a nice copairison and example of Android and Atrix specifically compaired to iPhones. Since it took a while ot type (several interuptions and Im a slow typer) it logs me out of the forum and when I click post, I lose the whole damn thing cause it logged me out. This has happened to e A LOT on this forum and is the major reason I barely post here anymore. If I get ambition to write it all over again, I will type it up in notepad and copy paiste it up here...

Anyway welcome to all the Android newbees. Take some time to play with your device and learn how to make it do what YOU want it to do. There is A LOT of info out there for learning cool, fun, useful things to do with your Android! A year later from switching from iPhone. I ams SUPER happy and screw with my Androids daily to learn new fun, cool stuff to do!

I know what you mean. What I do is open a new e-mail and type my post there, then copy and past it here. Works well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones