New to the Hero and android

Last Updated:

1. ToothDoc

ToothDoc New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone. First off I apologize if this has been posted previously ad nauseaum. I have been a 10 year blackberry user and this Friday am making the leap into Android by joining Sprint Network and the Hero. I have been a happy bberry user all this time but I have been given a hell of a deal by a buddy of mine who works for sprint and I am getting in on his family plan for 1500 min with unlimited data and text for $50 a month. I have been with T-mo for many years and while their plans without contracts are cheaper I have been using a Bold2 9700 which is an outstanding phone mired on a spotty 3G network. I could continue with bberry use and get the Tour but it has had many problems with its trackball and is generally laggy. I figure it is time to change things up a bit. Again I apologize in advance if this has been asked but since I am new I wanted some device/recommendations on apps and tweaks I need to do. Is the stock messaging app good or should I dl chomps or handcent? What about stock keyboard? Any advice/help is greatly appreciated! TIA!

Advertisement
  2. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Welcome to AndroidForums!

One of the first apps you'll want is Astro file manager. It lets you manage your photos, which was a big deal for me and took a few weeks to find.
    For a text app, the stock one does just fine. I did switch to Handcent after reading all the reviews of it here, and I saw it on my wife's Moment. Never tried Chomp, but it looks like people have problems with it.
    I use the stock keyboard and T9 for texting, they do just fine.

3. ToothDoc

Thanks i VTAK for the info. I will be getting the phone in the morning and spend the afternoon setting it up. I will look for the apps you suggested because I do keep and take a lot of pictures.

4. riggsAndroid

riggsAndroid Active Member

Now, I don't mean to rain on any parade, because you are saving some $$ by going with your buddy, but he is sort of ripping you off. If he already has a family plan and is adding you to it, it will only cost him $19.99/line.

Obviously, your own plan would be $69.99/month for 500 landline minutes, but maybe you can talk him down to $40/month even $30 because I'm sure he gets a discounted rate as well.

Some food for thought.

5. cybercop2267

cybercop2267 New Member

I have the HTC Hero on 3 and cannot get the BBC I player to work at all nor any streaming sites...can anyone help me ????

6. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

This forum is for the American Hero. I doubt many people here listen to or watch the BBC, other than Top Gear, that show ROCKS!!!! Also your question is way off the topic of this thread. HTC Hero - Android Forums Someone in this area may be able to help. Maybe start you own topic for it.

7. ToothDoc

Thanks riggsAndroid for looking out for me. Actually I think I used the wrong name for the plan. It is in fact not a family plan. He is an employee of Sprint and can offer up to 8 or 10 (not sure) discounted plans for his friends and families per year. I believe it is called Advantage Club Program but don't quote me on that. I will be porting my own number and have my own account and I will be in charge of my own payment. It is a much better deal than what I am paying now on T-mobile and a much better network as far as coverage goes. Again it is unlt'd messaging and web with 1500 min and free nights and weekends. Should be ample for my needs.

8. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

I am the Stig's fat American cousin, and on a side note the BBC is probably the best place to get US and world news, unless you like to watch the red tie/blue tie fight that is CNN and Fox

9. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member

I use Shapewriter for my keyboard, and it's changed my life. A regular keyboard just seems archaic to me now. Give it a go.