New to the MercuryGeneral

1. efeigenbaum

efeigenbaum Well-Known Member

I just upgraded from the Ascend to the Mercury today and, so far, I am loving the phone. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for a newbie?

Advertisement
  2. exdous

exdous Member

If it doesn't have the firmware update, don't do it.
    Download Advanced Task Killer
    Enjoy

It's a great phone
  3. RoWilJr

RoWilJr Well-Known Member

No need to d/l ATK...
  4. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Agreed. Stay away from task killers and slap GO Launcher on it. I use an app called Equalizer that makes music through earbuds sound much better. Welcome to the Mercury club!
    RoWilJr likes this.
  5. efeigenbaum

Thank you. I learned about not using task killers a while ago and Go Launcher was pretty much the first thing I downloaded. I have Equalizer on my rooted Nook Color, I will d/l it for the Mercury as well.
  6. exdous

exdous Member

So what's the deal with ATK? I never had heard of it but the people in cricket told me to download it. Could that be why my phone is screwing up? And I'm blaming it on the firmware update?
  7. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Ugh, it drives me crazy that phone store employees keep doing this. I just had to explain this to my friend the other day when he told me the Verizon rep told him to put ATK on his Droid RAZR. There's lots of info out there about this, but basically Android is designed to have free memory being used and it will kill tasks as memory is needed. This confuses people because they are used to Windows and Android is Linux based. Here's one article, but there are tons out there.

Fresh Rom – CDMA Android Development
    nuttmeg likes this.
  8. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Ugh, it drives me crazy that phone store employees keep doing this. I just had to explain this to my friend the other day when he told me the Verizon rep told him to put ATK on his Droid RAZR. There's lots of info out there about this, but basically Android is designed to have free memory being used and it will kill tasks as memory is needed. This confuses people because they are used to Windows and Android is Linux based. Here's one article, but there are tons out there.

Fresh Rom – CDMA Android Development
  9. mathesar

mathesar Well-Known Member

If you want to improve the microphone quality when recording videos use the LgCamera app found on googleplay and change the audio encoder to AMR_WB, this thread gives details: Possible Fix for Huawei Mercury Video Recording Microphone
    gixxer_751 likes this.
  10. efeigenbaum

11. jimmy513

jimmy513 Well-Known Member

Personally I use Juice Defender. Its a really great app that turns off your 3g when you turn off your screen, and turns it back on when the screen is back on. Pretty nifty and saves battery a little bit. Mine gets like 1.2x battery, my girlfriends gets like 1.7x and my dads gets like 1.5 more battery. So its a nice little app and informs you of how much battery its saving you after youve had it for 24 hours.

And I use the GoLauncher, I like it a lot as well. So customizable.

I would recommend a case personally depending on how you are with your phones because the phone itself isnt made of any great materials and I feel like it would chip and nick very easy if dropped.
    I actually posted a similar thread to you when I got my phone and posted a link to a case in there if you wanna give it a shot. I like the case a lot. Kickstand feature isnt the sturdiest but its not like I use it all the time anyways, and its neat.

Best bet for anything you buy for your phone (battery, case, SD Card etc), check Amazon.