New to this forum

1. CellBlock420

CellBlock420 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum but not to AF. I spent a lot of time in the Samsung Transform Ultra forums with guys like MavrikMeercat and Chevanlol360.
    Great guys, but I have moved on to the GS2 and have some questions.
    A friend sent me his s2 when he upgraded to the s3, it came to me soft bricked with some issues. I have since been able to get it going and flashed the stock ICS 4.0.4 file.
    My question is this.
    Do I need to keep the phone unrooted until I activate the service with tmobile (later this month)?
    It already has a sim card in it, do I need to buy a new one or can they reactivate the current sim card?
    That's it from me for now, I'm sure you guys will be hearing from me again in the near future.

Edit:
    I odin flashed the stock rom mentioned above and it is going through its initial boot sequence, but it's been doing it for about ten minutes now. All I have is the samsung logo pulsing blue. I know it's doing something, but should it take this long?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Hi CellBlock :wavey: Welcome to this forum. :D

Rooting shouldn't affect your activation. I'm not sure about the sim. I would think it would be tied to his plan but I don't really know. You can always order one from Tmo usually for 99 cents online.

No, it shouldn't take that long. If you can get to recovery try a factory reset.
    CellBlock420 likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

If the sim was deactivated for any other reason than a request by the owner of the number, then I think they are permanently deactivated (Don't quote me on that) so a new sim card would be in order.

Root doesn't effect the sim card so you don't have to wait. :D
    CellBlock420 likes this.
  4. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

I also second that - you need a new sim - but other than that I do not really see why you cannot root and rom the device. Once you get an account or prepaid stuff with them pop that baby in there and enjoy.

For rom I personally recommend - CM10 Nightly or Stable what ever your fancy is and enjoy jellybean fully functioning on your device. It is not 4.2 but hey Samsung does not really care about us any more but still enjoy!!!
    CellBlock420 likes this.
  5. CellBlock420

CellBlock420 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I pretty much got the rom figures out. At first I went with AOKP running Next launcher, but they didn't jive well. Then I figured out that it was the ROM not the launcher.
    So with the help of a good friend, we were able to coax CM10 Stable Hercules, onboard, running next launcher.
    I love it, it's flippin' great. Buttery smooth and responsive and the graphics quailty is almost better than my monitor!
    Only drawback I see to this configuration is that there is an issue with my wifi access. I can connect automatically with my home network, but if I travel and want to use my wifi, I can connect to network but get grey signal bars instead of that Cyanogen Blue.
    Anyone got any ideas?