New to virtual keyboard, any ideas?

Last Updated:

1. flynlow

flynlow Member This Topic's Starter

First virtual kb, came from 11 years of Blackberry use. I really like the EVO, it is a lot more powerful than the BB. However, I can not seem to master this kb. I have gone from being able to click out about 35 wpm on a bb, to struggling to get through a 100 character text with this. I have installed "better keyboard" from the market, it did help slightly. I still have the same issues of getting a . when I thought I hit space, an a when I thought I hit s, etc. I know the words fill in on a bar above but that is very hard to watch as you type and makes it even slower.

Is there a good keyboard out that anyone uses? I have no interest in swype, so I am not going to go that route. The problem seems to be the size and shape of the EVO, holding in portrait, the kb is too small and the phone has to be constantly adjusted to keep it from slipping, then of course, if you barely even touch the screen or a button, it acts on that. In landscape, its almost too wide and you have to reach for certain keys and always hit another on your way over. It would help maybe, if there was anyway at all to adjust sensitivity. Anyway, any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

One thing that helped me was calibrating the keyboard to my typing: Menu > Settings > Language & Keyboard > Touch Input > Text Input > (scroll to bottom) Calibration Tool.

Yes, it takes some digging to get there!

Other than that, it is all learning curve. I came, not from a BB, but from the Treo world, and it was an adjustment for me as well.

Best of luck!

3. mtrajano00

mtrajano00 Well-Known Member

I feel weird too using this keyboard. I was soo use to the HTC Pro keyboard. Its a great phone so I dont mind typing a little slower than before.

4. ahaxton

ahaxton Active Member

+1. I did this and it improved my typing dramatically.

5. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

I use Smart Keyboard Pro and love it. Tried many, and best one IMHO. Am told it is very similar to the iPhone and you can make it like others in the settings.

6. supaumar

supaumar Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

7. androidgynous

androidgynous Member

It takes a few days, but I also like talk text for texting or short searches.

8. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member