• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Tower on eBay

Before I moved (the desktop is still in the garage), I had moved 7 twice, once due to a blown motherboard (and I changed the drive when I got the new motherboard) tripping the "different computer" alarm, and once when I got tired of the old hardware (HP learned to make crap when they bought Compaq) and moved 7 to a new machine. They both went smoothly and quickly. (And they were about a year apart, maybe a bit more. [Memory is the second thing to go.])

Upvote 0
Just a note in passing (and thanks in advance for the Like, Moody ;) ), Linux (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, if you will) does not have any issues with you installing on more than one machine.

And it's as cheap as the cost of an internet connection (which you probably already have) and a CD-r/DVD-r/USB drive (which you probably already have)...

Upvote 0
Here's a cute one... I bought it on the 8th. He shipped it USPS on the 9th, going from Maryland to Arizona. And today, according to the tracking site, it's still in Maryland. He called that office and they have no idea what happened to it. When he told me that, I replied, "Makes ya feel better about our new guvment health care, huh..."

Upvote 0
I've heard you should leave virtual memory on because some programs expect it to be there.

I know for a fact that disabling virtual memory on Windows is disastrous.

I haven't tried on Linux, but I suppose it may depend on settings and such-- I have seen people set up Linux on machines running only Flash memory, where virtual memory (swap) would be impractical or downright impossible.

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0
Every time I buy something on eBay, I have to wait a year to get the nerve to try it again... the 'new' PC was loose in the box and starting to unhinge itself. Looked forward to having it, but I never even tried it. Sent a reply with pix and demands, going to go get drunk now... f word f word f word

Upvote 0
Well, the ebay seller was nice enough to take it back and comp the shipping both ways, or so I'm told. So today, to do something even stupider, I visited a friendofafriend who has a PC shop. He put another gig of ram in my ancient HP. A complete waste of money, the very definition of throwing good money after bad, but it's nice to see the memory problems I've endured for nine years vanish instantly.

Upvote 0
Don't message sellers with in a day asking where is yoir item. Post office are not going to tell you anything, just be patient, guy did not make much from that thing, he had to pay 13% to ebay plus the shipping costs. So just be patient. If it does not get to you with in 3 weeks you can file a dispute. I had issues with ebay but all were resolved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones