New UD rom.

Last Updated:

1. Droidking

Droidking Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just downloaded the latest UD rom and its kickass! too many options to mention. One option I like is the option to have a music widget on the lock screen on the bottom. I've been a fan of UD's recentely because of the many options it provides, like CM used too. Check it out.:)

Advertisement
  2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

those are CM options. CM was the one that developed the music option. UD generally takes CM and Bugless Beast roms and uses their stuff to make what he calls his own. his roms run good but thats because he steals from 2 of the best developers.

3. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

^^ UD's ROM's are just mash ups of others work.

4. MaxPacker

MaxPacker Well-Known Member

Though I've been lurking a few Droid forums since March, I missed the ROM dispute over UD and CM. I remember reading on here that it was illegal to link to UD, but I didn't know what happened or what was said to have happened. Anyway, I have only been flashing frequently in the past month or so. Basically, I'm unbiased towards the whole thing.

I must say, Bugless Beast is incredibly smooth. I've been flashing UD to test how fast I can make my droid go. I can't count how many times I've ran Quandrant lately. And I think UD is really good (albeit with launcherpro for me) at putting up outstanding scores. However, though my scores have been high, I've encountered way too many problems than I'm willing to deal with as an above average gadget fan.

I am interested in the latest UD, but I also know the limits of my phone. I think that the fundamental divide between these factions isn't who stole from who, or whatever, it's what do you want your phone to be. If you want high scores, and to keep up with the newer phones coming out, I think UD can give you that. For whatever the reasons be. It's going to deliver. And there's options.

But we aren't all the same. The ROMs do seem to differ greatly in aesthetic these days, and that's a good thing. You should never just be loyal, but go to whichever developer continues to develop in the way you want your phone to work. Mashup or not, people are attracted.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into things. Forgive my forwardness.

Droidking likes this.
  5. Droidking

Droidking Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It really doesnt matter to me who takes from who because its just a phone after all. I just like the way it looks on my phone. Thats just my opinion.

6. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

well yeah, but we should give people credit where credit is due. A lot of people work hard for free to bring us these enhancements, fixes, tweaks, and features.

That being said the newer versions are heavily credited so it shouldn't be an issue anymore. And yeah in a lot of ways Ultimate Droid is a mashup, but a lot of ROMs are mashups. They borrow from each other and add their own little bits. That's one of the reasons we get so many good ROMs quickly, there is a lot of collaboration. We just need to give credit where it's due.

Judging from the change logs on BM's website there is plenty of is own additions as well. If people don't forgive him for past transgressions thats fine, you are welcome to do that. It probably pays to be a bit cautious with the new stuff as well. but I haven't heard anything about continued lack of properly crediting people.

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

To me it looks like UD changed Cyanogenmod Settings to UD Settings themed it and added a few other things. His changelog reads almost exactly the same as cyanogenmods. He may give credit better now than he did in the past but he still adds every setting that goes into CM into his rom.

If you like his theme more power to ya if you dont then you might as well use cm and theme from there.

tom108 likes this.
  8. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

9. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Software writers "borrow" code all of the time ... web designers borrow code from websites ... Android devs borrow from other devs ... and so on. Sometimes giving credit, sometimes not so much. Nothing new here. As long as UD isn't making money off of it, what's the big deal anyway?

Last I checked, I thought this was an open source community. :confused:

10. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

There is a difference between borrowing code and what UD used to do. I dont know if he does it anymore but he used to literally take the zip file of a CM rom add his theme then claim it as his own work. And he was making money off it from donations and asking for donations.

11. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

he does make money off it. he get donations for all HIS hard work. :rolleyes:

12. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

And all HIS work is KICK-ASS, too! Lol.

Can't seem to find the latest thread regarding UD 6.0. I'll keep looking, but I won't be surprised if I don't find here. If a mod scrubbed it, he should be fired.

13. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people think his work is so great. Its just kanged work. I wish he would just get off his high horse and give credit where it is due.

14. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

There is a thread about it under the roms subforum