• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New update for prevail(Ginger Bread)

My wife's prevail got an OTA update from boost last night. She complained about how long it took and that everything changed (her words). So, I checked the phone and almost fell over when i saw that her phone was running Gingerbread. I guess Samsung actually relased something in a timely manner. Color me surprised :)

BTW, i am a Sprint Samsung Epic user and I STILL havent seen GB!!!

Upvote 0
I reverted my phone back to stock to wait on the update and I havent gotten it yet so hopefully by this weekend I will be running GB on this great little phone.
well if you get sick of waiting Koumajutsu has made some Odin Images for the new GB EJ06 update there's a stock and pre rooted and cwm version just go to the all things root part of this forum and there's an odin sticky the links are in there

Upvote 0
FYI:
I got the notification that my phone was going to be updated, but sometime during the process (I was busy, and wasn't paying attention as to when) it fell over.

What I saw was a screen with a warning icon. The screen looked like a bootloader screen, with options to reboot, restore, etc. At the bottom it simply said install failed. None of the options were selectable, and I was eventually forced to remove the battery and let it restart. Needless to say I still have Froyo.

Yes, I know, I should have written down the messages. I do IT for a living and know better. Sorry I can't give more info.

Interestingly when I check for updates now it says I'm up to date, but System Info still shows 2.2.2 Froyo.

Upvote 0
FYI:
I got the notification that my phone was going to be updated, but sometime during the process (I was busy, and wasn't paying attention as to when) it fell over.

What I saw was a screen with a warning icon. The screen looked like a bootloader screen, with options to reboot, restore, etc. At the bottom it simply said install failed. None of the options were selectable, and I was eventually forced to remove the battery and let it restart. Needless to say I still have Froyo.

Yes, I know, I should have written down the messages. I do IT for a living and know better. Sorry I can't give more info.

Interestingly when I check for updates now it says I'm up to date, but System Info still shows 2.2.2 Froyo.

I had the same issue with an ota update. So I used the Odin method to get GB stock, and it worked. then did some of the tweaks listed in the All things root section. Just make sure you read the directions, and you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
FYI:

The OTA update does a metric buttload of md5 checks to verify that your system is basically unmodded (just the files that it's going to apply patches to) They did this because instead of sending an update with complete files (teh HUEG!), they pushed out an update.zip that only contains the binary differences to the files and .img files. Since doing that to a file that it's not intended for could cause the file to not run, rather than brick phones, the patch only works on stock phones.

The error was basically your phone's way of saying, "OMG, I can't update your phone because the files you have are not the ones I can safely update!"

Check out the stuff in the odin thread in all things root, you can get stock gingerbread there without all the safety checks, it's just a lot bigger :)

Upvote 0
okay my phone is rooted, and i didnt get a notification for the gingerbread update. my android version still is 2.2.2. so do i have to manually install it, or will i be able to update it with a rooted phone? help please??

you will most likely not be able to update with a rooted phone.

just go here: http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...turn-phone-stock-factory-updated-11-09-a.html

and download:

DOWNLOAD EJ06 Gingerbread Rooted Image with CWM5 made by Chin Checka
http://bit.ly/t2nBKN

follow the instructions in the thread very carefully.

that will give you rooted gingerbread.

there is also a stock gingerbread in there if you feel safer with all stock

Upvote 0
So I'm kind of a computard. Galaxy Prevail is my first smart phone, and I just got it a few days ago. Well already I got a notification of a new update, Gingerbread. The only thing I like is that now when you're typing, you can put the cursor on the exact spot you want much easier by sliding it, whereas before you had to try to tap the exact spot you wanted it on.
Aside from that one awesome little addition, I have not noticed any good differences. It has made my phone a lot slower, and it didn't use to freeze so much. Now it does. Everything takes forever to load and the update I downloaded nearly maxed out my phones memory capacity. Does anyone know what I should do?
Oh, and can anyone explain the terms "rooted" and "shabby"? I have no idea what this refers to.
If I can't get this thing to go fast again, I will have to find a way to revert it back to Froyo. Is that even possible? HELP!

Upvote 0
Ok, so like the guy before me, the Prevail is my first smartphone. I haven't rooted the phone or done anything except download the modified version of flash player so I can watch stuff other than youtube. I have NOT gotten any update for Gingerbread, althoug my step-dad has, and he hasn't had his prevail as long as I've had mine. I'm wondering why I haven't gotten the update because no offense to Shabby or anyone else, I'd rather not root my phone to download GB from here unless I have no other choice. Can anyone help??? Does anyone know why my phone wouldn't update to GB???? I might add that I got updates for everything else earlier today from Layar to Twidroyd that I didn't want, but nothing for Gingerbread. Is my only hope in Rooting the Phone?

Upvote 0
Super upset with this update now. It has turned my phone into a piece of garbage. I did a "hard reset" of my phone, which claimed it would restore all my factory settings. Instead I lost all my apps, but was still stuck with this horrible gingerbread piece of crap. Someone please help me.

factory reset tells you what its going to do before you do one lol

if you hate GB so much just odin back to froyo

Upvote 0
Ok, so like the guy before me, the Prevail is my first smartphone. I haven't rooted the phone or done anything except download the modified version of flash player so I can watch stuff other than youtube. I have NOT gotten any update for Gingerbread, althoug my step-dad has, and he hasn't had his prevail as long as I've had mine. I'm wondering why I haven't gotten the update because no offense to Shabby or anyone else, I'd rather not root my phone to download GB from here unless I have no other choice. Can anyone help??? Does anyone know why my phone wouldn't update to GB???? I might add that I got updates for everything else earlier today from Layar to Twidroyd that I didn't want, but nothing for Gingerbread. Is my only hope in Rooting the Phone?

No, you don't have to root your phone if you do not want to. You can find a stock(non-rooted)version of the Gingerbread update in the same thread from above.

This is the stock Gingerbread update. Just go to this thread to learn how to use Odin to push it to your phone.

Upvote 0
you will most likely not be able to update with a rooted phone.

just go here: http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...turn-phone-stock-factory-updated-11-09-a.html

and download:

DOWNLOAD EJ06 Gingerbread Rooted Image with CWM5 made by Chin Checka
http://bit.ly/t2nBKN

follow the instructions in the thread very carefully.

that will give you rooted gingerbread.

there is also a stock gingerbread in there if you feel safer with all stock

I am rooted and have super user, and thats it. No rom, no mod, nothing changed. I got the update with no problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones