New updates from the Sprint store?Support

Last Updated:

1. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yesterday, I took my phone to a Sprint Repair center to have my bluetooth issues checked out. Well, they said that the problem was a software glitch and that they just had to reload a few things. No problem, everything seems normal. They didn't wipe anything out or anything, so I figured I was just back to normal.

Then today, I noticed that there was an icon in my notification area that I'd never seen before. I pulled down the status bar and saw "7 updates available." I clicked on it, and it took me to the My Downloads area of the Market app where, sure enough, I had 7 apps with updates.

I'm assuming this is due to some new version of the Market that they loaded on my phone? Has anyone else seen this? My firmware version is still CL14.

Advertisement
  2. flu13

FWIW - Under my applications listing, Market shows as version 1.3.

3. globalninja

globalninja Well-Known Member

Same version as mine, i havnt been to a sprint store since a week after CL14 came out so im guessing you just had a buggy market.

4. flu13

So does the Market give notifications about updates as part of CL14?

5. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

No, thats a function of Android itself.

6. jason81

jason81 Well-Known Member

Yes..... mine has been doing this since the cl14 update as well

7. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Mine started doing the market notification right after I reloaded the CL14 update onto my phone... Now I'm having problems... again... I think I may reload CL14... again:(

8. SmokinPiff

SmokinPiff Banned

app update notifications are normal and have nothing to do with the CL14 update... I've been getting them since I've owned the phone and my wife has always gotten them on her G1. it's just the way Android works as someone else said.

9. flu13

That's funny, because I could swear I've seen several threads on this site of people asking, "Is there a way to get a notification when one of my apps has an update," and I swear that I never saw anyone say that they happened automatically. I've never had updates of notifications at all, and I've had the phone since November. I wonder what else I'm missing due to software glitches?

10. SmokinPiff

SmokinPiff Banned

how often do you turn off your phone? I get them when I turn my phone off and then turn it back on. if theres a update for a app, I'll get the notification when I turn it back on. also when I download a new app I'll get the notification that I have updates available... i'm pretty sure it's not just me, being as my phone has been just as buggy as anyone else's on here... maybe ask a G1 owner, they get update notifications all the time.

11. flu13

I pretty much never turn off my phone. Of course, I also have never gotten notifications when I downloaded something else. My phone was definitely glitchy, it seems.

12. edvan

edvan Well-Known Member

I noticed this just the other day too. I've had the phone since Nov. and never seen that black Android icon in the notification bar before. Pulled it down and it said I had an update available for an app. I always had to go into my DL's to see if there were updates available.

Glad to see it does notify, but hope it does it all the time there is an update not just this one time.

13. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

A very wise person once told me to power cycle any smartphone a few times a week. Most of them even have the option to 'restart' while you are asleep - see BlackBerry, WinMo, etc...

It's always good to powercycle when you install new software. Most apps won't run correctly without re-initializing the phone - think Windows asking for a restart before your software will work right.

It's quick and easy and eliminates alot of issues.

14. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

Very true. I can also say though I never got android updates until CL14 as well. Oh well. I love my mooment and it works. I do power cycle my phone about twice a week.

15. bohnded

bohnded Active Member

I too never received an update notification for an app on my Moment until after CL14. I received them all the time on my G1.

16. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

I get them daily now if I ignore the notifications I get when I turn it on. It seems to be like once every 12ish hours.

17. ColdStart

ColdStart Well-Known Member

I just received my first app update notification this morning. I have had this phone since just after Xmas and got the CL14 upgrade in mid-January, as soon as it became available. I turned the GPS back on shortly before I received the notification after having it turned off for the past few days.
    Does anyone know why these notifications are showing up now?