New user, first time rooting

Last Updated:

1. growler13

growler13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So after waiting weeks for verizon to get their s*&% together i finally got my phone. Its on 2.0.1 and i want to root it, but from what I've seen if I updated to 2.1 I would just have to go back to 2.0.1 anyway, right? So should i not update? Also once i root i can pretty much just make a backup, load up rom manager and flash a new rom and compatible kernel right?

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

3. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

If you update to 2.1, you are just adding a step you didn't need.

This is what you want to do.

2.0.1 stock to 2.1 with root!!

4. growler13

Ok cool I'll check it out later. First I gotta go to verizon to program it, because its locked and won't work with *228.

p.s. thanks to the moderator that moved my post

5. Fadelight

It wasn't a mod that moved it. ;)

You don't have to go to Verizon... just call them. They can do it over the phone. My father had the exact same thing happen to him when he got his droid in December. We called, and it was taken care of in less than 3 minutes.

6. growler13

Its ok i had to go in store anyway because they sent me the wrong charger, and thats a whole long, long, long story. Anyway Droid is up and running and I'll probably root tonight

7. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Glad you finally got your shit sorted out! Anyway, getting root is so easy especially when you have a background of hacking winmo phones. You can use the thread Fade linked you too or check out the guide to everything root related. For ROM's I would check out Bugless Beast or Fab's Nex ROM first and if you get more daring check out CyanogenMOD. With ROM Manager installed you can make nandroid backups of any current setup before you try something new so if it doesn't work out you can jump right back to where you were.

8. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Where's the DroidMod love??? Nevermind...I just read the op and he is looking to have a phone better than stock! :D

Glad that you finally have the phone AND the battery. I suppose sending the correct charger would have been too difficult of task for the monkeys packing your box!

Enjoy the phone and play around with some of the ROMs to see what suits your taste. BB is solid, Fab's Nex ROM is really well put together (haven't tried the "R3" version but R2 was impressive). I run CyanogenMod most of the time and it is tops for me. I think starting with Cyanogen would not be the best choice...just get your feet wet with ROMs that use ESE81 as the base like BB and Fab's ROM (ESE81 is the build for the Droid's official 2.1 ROM as released by motorola/verizon). When you do eventually give Cyanogen a shot...the differences will be more obvious to you.

9. growler13

thanks for all the help guys, finally got a break from my finals and rooted, flashed cyanogen, and bekit's 1ghz kernel. Tomorrow I can actually enjoy my new toy

10. Fadelight

Copycat.

Oh well... I guess when you are awesome, everyone emulates you. :D

When you get bored with that and want to try something else, you can always change the bootloader screen. hehe.

11. growler13

Actually I think I'm gonna leave that stuff alone. After a year of modding all that stuff on my omnia i got really sick of all the customizations like that. At this point I just want to use my phone, and thats why I switched to android. Of course I say that now but we'll see what happens over the summer when I have more time

12. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Someone posted some really awesome boot screens (ones that actually replace the Motorala M not just the droid eye) over on the CM forums... I would love to do them but it just takes too much work (you have to reflash the SBF and then reroot and all sorts of crazy stuff, just not worth it)

13. growler13

I have a follow up question. So i flashed bekits low voltage 1 ghz kernel, but do I have to change the clock settings somewhere or is it automatic? Is there a way to check the clock speeds?

14. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

You'll need to get the app 'SetCPU"

Make sure to have it autodetect your device, instead of choosing Droid. Then, you can adjust the CPU frequency, set profiles for different situations, etc.

Basically, every rooted, overclocked user needs this app (and it is absolutely worth it).

15. growler13

Ok, thats what I thought but I saw something different on bekits forum and didn't have time to go through all 80+ pages