• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[NEW USER] Help determining the BEST TV Box for purchase

Draugr

Lurker
Mar 9, 2012
Hi everyone.

I've been spending hours the last 2 days trying to figure out which Google / Android TV box is the best out there. As of now my head is killing me most likely due to eye strain. :)

Anyhow, I wanted to ask some questions and hopefully get some advice from you more experienced users.

I'm looking to get a Android TV Box that I will use for 1080p movies, Netflix and also to run emulators, and Android market apps (mostly games).

Let me list what I'm looking for in a TV box and hopefully you may have suggestions.

[Hardware Side]
1. At least a 1GHz to 1.2GHz processor (preferably multi-core).
2. 512MB RAM
3. 4GB NAND (Prefered), 2 GB is ok too.
4. SD card slot, not micro or TF but full sized SD slot.
5. Internal 2.5" Hard Drive capability. NOT too important but would be ice. This is not a big deal to me.
6. Working mouse, keyboard, gamepad/joystick capability. Wired (USB), wireless 2.4GHz (Preferred)
7. Wifi b/g/n
8. Ethernet preferably Gigabit, but 10/100 would be fine too.
9. USB 2.0 ports (2 or more)
10. HDMI 1.3 or better output.
11. Ability to connect external USB drives.

[Software Side]
1. Android 4.0 (preferably) 3.x or 2.3.x would be ok too.
2. Android Market
3. Ability to download from market and use the majority of market apps/games.
4. Netflix capable

[Other Notes]

1. I'd prefer a unit that is easy to upgrade to future app/OS versions or firmware updates.
2. TRUE 1080p quality video and sound. I saw information that some boxes claim 1080p, but the quality is actually not even close.
3. A known product or manufacturer. At least a model that others may have used and had good things to say about.

Well, I guess that is all for now. Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure I purchaase the best, or one of the best TV boxes out there.

Thanks
John

Reactions: ddog

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones