New user - help with understanding rooting/debranding etc..

Last Updated:

1. snowydog

snowydog Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys I just recently got my new HTC Desire on Orange UK

Well I'm absolutely loving the phone - great piece of kit.

Basically what I'm wanting help with is understanding what it means when people talk about rooting the phone.....or debranding it?

I'm interested in getting rid of the Orange crap - but i'm worried about my warranty - What do you guys do if you have a problem with the phone and your warranty doesn't cover you anymore??

I'm looking to get my own insurance for it - would that be enough to cover it if something went wrong - with regards to warranty not covering a debranded phone

Also - What is the Sense UI??? I've heard of people changing it to something else?? If so, can you change it back to Sense UI..??

I don't wanna mess my phone up so I really just want to be able to understand everything about it...

Thanks guys
    :)

(first post - except in intro bit - be nice :cool:)

Advertisement
  2. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Only way to get rid of it is through root which does void warranty.

There is a way to unroot your phone and put back stock rom/stock recovery. Most cases I have heard of when people have problems, is they do that and send it back in. If something goes wrong during the root process and your phone gets bricked (not likely but possible), then you would be out of luck.

If I were you, I would go to xda-developers.com forums and modaco android forums as well as the "All Things Root (Desire)" board on this forum to make sure it its possible for your phone (make sure stock firmware is available, etc).

I think it its worth it, I believe Froyo has been ported to Desire so you can potentially install it onto your phone and enjoy the goodness.

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

3. snowydog

Thanks for your reply.

I think I'll have to read up on all this.

So what's this with Froyo? Sorry - bit naive atm - still trying to get my head around the step up to smartphone.

4. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Next iteration of the Android OS (officially released to the Nexus One couple of days ago).

Since 1.5, Android has named their operating systems after deserts in alphabetical order starting with C. 1.5= Cupcake, 2.1= Donut, 2.2= FroYo (frozen yogurt), (2.3 or 3.0)= Gingerbread (expected in Q4 of this year, will have minimum requirements which your Desire meet. After that, updates are expected to slow down to one per year).

Froyo includes many new features including a JIT compiler (just-in-time, a java compiler which speeds up apps significantly), a Wifi tethering hotspot feature, allows you to install apps to scard (if app supports it), support for Adobe Flash 10.1, probably some other stuff I am forgetting.

HTC promised an official update to Froyo (with Sense) for all phones they released in 2010 during the 2nd half off this year (within 6 months).

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

5. snowydog

Ah right I get it now - sounds interesting....can't wait for that update -sounds like it won't be long

Thanks for your help btw :)