• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New User Help

darked17

Aug 19, 2012
Hello People..

My name is Ed.. and today i just got my first Android.. its a Samsung.. Galaxy but my last phone was an iphone 3g.. had it until it died and well today i have this android phone its a complete change i need some help i know nothing about this..

1. For iphone i would do a jailbreak and then from cydia i would install ... Installous.. then i would get my apps or games from that.. but....

Where.. how.. do i get my apps from Android is there something similar?

Please help me get my way around my phone i em even scared to use it.. i dont have.. UNLIMITED DATA USAGE so i need to be carefull on what runs on the back groud..

Please help me...

Apps can be installed from the Google Play Store, similar to Apple's app store. Your phone should have a Play Store app to access it already installed.

Rooting an Android phone is roughly equivalent to jailbreaking an iPhone. It's not for everyone, especially new users.

Ask yourself what you need to do that actually requires root or if you just want to play with the phone. For most users it's probably the latter.

Android and hardware have come a long way. Storage space is usually adequate and a lot of customization is possible without root, far more than an iPhone that is not jailbroken. For regular users there's just not as many things that require root as before. I haven't bothered to root my daily driver in a long time and nowadays usually recommend against it.

No offense to hard-working developers, but custom ROMs do vary some in terms of quality, stability, functionality and features. Rooting will void your warranty.

If you decide you really do need/want to root, look in the 'All Things Root' section of your phone's subforum. Plenty of info is available. Also, Google search is your friend. Do a LOT of reading. It's possible a mistake could 'brick' your phone (make it unusable). Make sure you understand why you're doing it, the exact steps required and all the terminology, and have a recovery plan and backups in case things go bad. Nobody likes to bail out a n00b just because he simply failed to do his homework first.

Upvote 0
For iphone i would do a jailbreak and then from cydia i would install ... Installous.. then i would get my apps or games from that.. but....

Where.. how.. do i get my apps from Android is there something similar?

For much of Android, you don't need root access to do the things you needed to jailbreak an iPhone to do.

As for apps, Crashdamage is correct, get them from Google play, or getjar.com or Amazon's app store. Do not use file sharing services or download sites. Getting paid apps for free, or hacked apps that bypass restrictions are strictly against Android Forums policy and discussion is not permitted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones