1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

New user installed custom ROM and messed upSupport

1. txheart0711

txheart0711 Active Member

Good mornin' y'all,
    I installed a custom RoM a couple weeks after I got my Ascend. Then I went and started uninstalling stuff that I didn't need - using this forum as my guide. Apparently I can't read very well, because I am pretty darn certain I somehow deleted the stock camera off the phone. The RoM has it's camera, but the underlying camera.apk is gone. So, I click on the camera button, it may or may not open, but if it does, it will only take one picture before saying there's a problem and closing it.
    In addition, I've slowed my phone down so much it's almost unusable. I get force closes all the time, on pretty much every app I use. I want to just wipe and re-install the rom that it came with, but my old computer died and I don't have those back-ups any longer. I have tried to re-install just the basic Cricket RoM by following the directions at this forum, but it's not working. When the phone starts up it is still the custom RoM, and the camera still doesn't work.
    Please tell me where to download basically the entire package that the Ascend came with, and how to install it so that it wipes everything else off. I am not afraid to re-install a custom RoM, but first I want to get the phone back to working like it's supposed to work. Then I can start making changes again - being WAY more careful this time.
    Y'all have been an awesome source of help and you have my sincere thanks. The fault here is all mine, it had nothing to do with bad directions.
    ~Ky

Advertisement
    :
  2. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Well-Known Member

If you can still boot into CWM recovery, you should be able to download the zip file for any custom ROM you want to install, then move it to the root of your SD card and (after wiping everything per usual) flash it.

With the Cricket stock ROM, you should be unzipping the zip file and moving the "dload" folder to the root of your SD card, then following whichever set of instructions you choose, from either the Force Update or Normal Update methods. If one won't work, try the other.

As you've now learned, never delete core application files, as bad things can happen. If you get stuck anywhere with either reflashing a ROM or flashing back to stock, be sure to post specifics, such as error messages, etc, so that people can better assist you.