• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New User, Several rooting questions.

Aurakai

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
So first of all, hey everyone, first post and all. I basically signed up here since I've done quite a bit of research but still have quite a bit of questions about rooting. So here goes.

Backing up: So I've seen several apps that do backups and such. What I don't understand is, to what extent does it back up the data? For example, if I were to root my phone and decide that I would like to use the warranty, could I in theory get it back to it's default unrooted self? Also, would a simple drag and drop method work just as well a backup program?

SD Card Removal: So one of the main reason I want to root my phone is to extend my space. Adding apps on the SD card rather then the phone sounds really useful. Though if I removed the SD card with the apps in it, what would happen? Would I lose any data? Would I risk bricking?

Unbranded Phone: Ok, it actually is branded in a way but not like those big named phones. I use a Filipino brand called Myphone which makes it a bit harder to know what's compatible with it. My question is, would it still be advised to attempt to use a Custom Rom on it? I'm not too sure about the differences in Android Firmware there are on different brands so I can't really tell if a uncommon brand would be compatible with a phone like mine. Speaking of which...

Custom Rom: Do I need to root my phone first or does finding and installing a Custom Rom root my phone for me?

So last of all... Apps: Ok assuming I get a go for it on the rooting part, what are good backup, restoration, External SD to Internal Storage and other recommended apps after rooting?

To anyone that helps, thanks, I really appreciate it.

So first of all, hey everyone, first post and all. I basically signed up here since I've done quite a bit of research but still have quite a bit of questions about rooting. So here goes.

Backing up: So I've seen several apps that do backups and such. What I don't understand is, to what extent does it back up the data? For example, if I were to root my phone and decide that I would like to use the warranty, could I in theory get it back to it's default unrooted self? Also, would a simple drag and drop method work just as well a backup program?

SD Card Removal: So one of the main reason I want to root my phone is to extend my space. Adding apps on the SD card rather then the phone sounds really useful. Though if I removed the SD card with the apps in it, what would happen? Would I lose any data? Would I risk bricking?

Unbranded Phone: Ok, it actually is branded in a way but not like those big named phones. I use a Filipino brand called Myphone which makes it a bit harder to know what's compatible with it. My question is, would it still be advised to attempt to use a Custom Rom on it? I'm not too sure about the differences in Android Firmware there are on different brands so I can't really tell if a uncommon brand would be compatible with a phone like mine. Speaking of which...

Custom Rom: Do I need to root my phone first or does finding and installing a Custom Rom root my phone for me?

So last of all... Apps: Ok assuming I get a go for it on the rooting part, what are good backup, restoration, External SD to Internal Storage and other recommended apps after rooting?

To anyone that helps, thanks, I really appreciate it.

Welcome to the forums!!! :D

Everything in the root world is very device specific, so without knowing exactly what device you have I can only answer in generalities, but here goes nothing! :)

1)Backing up: So I've seen several apps that do backups and such. What I don't understand is, to what extent does it back up the data? For example, if I were to root my phone and decide that I would like to use the warranty, could I in theory get it back to it's default unrooted self? Also, would a simple drag and drop method work just as well a backup program?

Most of those apps will backup the application. However, they are very limited in their use in that one app cannot access the data to another app without root access. Google will already back up your apps, data, contacts, ect if you allow them to. It will automatically be restored when you sign into the play store again.

As far as returning the phone to stock, that is going to be a device specific question, but with most phones this is possible

2)SD Card Removal: So one of the main reason I want to root my phone is to extend my space. Adding apps on the SD card rather then the phone sounds really useful. Though if I removed the SD card with the apps in it, what would happen? Would I lose any data? Would I risk bricking?

Unfortunately, this is going to be device specific as well. You may not be able to move the full app in all scenarios. Removing the SD card will not brick the device.

3)Unbranded Phone: Ok, it actually is branded in a way but not like those big named phones. I use a Filipino brand called Myphone which makes it a bit harder to know what's compatible with it. My question is, would it still be advised to attempt to use a Custom Rom on it? I'm not too sure about the differences in Android Firmware there are on different brands so I can't really tell if a uncommon brand would be compatible with a phone like mine. Speaking of which...

These are kind of related so I lumped them together ;)

Custom ROMS are going to be device specific. Its very important you make sure its specifically made for your phone in mind before you try to flash it.

You don't necessarily need to be rooted before flashing a custom ROM (you'll need a custom recovery though). Most custom ROMS come rooted out of the box, so after flashing it you'll be rooted.

Hope that helped calm some of your fears! :)

Upvote 0
It's a MyPhone A848i Duo. It's a Filipino branded phone that uses ICS. Still sort of worried about stock recovery so I'm still a bit iffy on trying rooting. I don't want to void my warranty just yet if I can help it.

Edit Add-On: Though from the looks of it, I don't really have a way (or at least nothing simple) to use a Custom Rom and simply removing root seems to be simple enough I think.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Ok sort of new question (more of a rephrasing)

If I wanted to return my phone to stock, how exactly would I do that? Is there a recovery app that I could use? If I were to simply click revert to factory setting, would that bring it back? So yeah it's still my most concerning question since like mentioned, I don't think voiding the warranty just yet would be a bright idea.

Upvote 0
Ok sort of new question (more of a rephrasing)

If I wanted to return my phone to stock, how exactly would I do that? Is there a recovery app that I could use? If I were to simply click revert to factory setting, would that bring it back? So yeah it's still my most concerning question since like mentioned, I don't think voiding the warranty just yet would be a bright idea.

Factory data rest just erases all your personal stuff (apps, contacts data, etc)

You need a custom stock ROM for your phone to be sure you can get back to out of the box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones