NEW USER: trying to figure out the lingoSupport

Last Updated:

1. Carl Gilroy

Carl Gilroy New Member This Topic's Starter

I just purchased an Incredible. I really love it a lot, but I have a few questions if someone could clear them up for me.

1. There are a bunch of pre-loaded apps on my phone (Facebook, twitter, stocks, my verizon) and they are always running in the background according to my task killer app. I want to get rid of them, and I have read that you cannot unless you "root" your phone. What exactly does rooting do? I know that it can permanently mess up your phone, so, is it worth it? Do you think that htc will update android to enable you to delete these pre-loaded apps?

2. Is there a way to get more widgets for your phone?

3. I have updated to 2.2 before I even really knew what it was. People seem to be having trouble with it, but my phone seems to be working fine. Should I restore the factory settings just in case? I don't really have that much to back up.

Thanks for your time. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

I just purchased an Incredible. I really love it a lot, but I have a few questions if someone could clear them up for me.

1. There are a bunch of pre-loaded apps on my phone (Facebook, twitter, stocks, my verizon) and they are always running in the background according to my task killer app. I want to get rid of them, and I have read that you cannot unless you "root" your phone. What exactly does rooting do? I know that it can permanently mess up your phone, so, is it worth it? Do you think that htc will update android to enable you to delete these pre-loaded apps?

You can not delete them through the phone itself without root access, with an App like launcher pro you can hide them from the main app tray if you want. Also I personally dont recommend advance task killer since as you noticed the apps just load back up if you kill them, so after killing them the system is opening them up using more battery than if they are just sitting doing nothing.

2. Is there a way to get more widgets for your phone?

There are tons of different apps and widgets you can download from the market place, My personal favoirtes are Beautiful widgets, Battery life (by curvefish) and my handcent SMS widget. a lot of apps also come with widgets as well.

3. I have updated to 2.2 before I even really knew what it was. People seem to be having trouble with it, but my phone seems to be working fine. Should I restore the factory settings just in case? I don't really have that much to back up.

If your phone isnt having issue's you do not want to go back, I find 2.2 helps tons if you arent having any issues.

If you are interested in learning more about root and such I highly recomend spending some time in the all things root forum, they will have explanations of the benefits, downsides, how to's and other useful stuff. Dont just do it for 1 small thing read as much as you can about Root first to see if you will really benefit from it.

Carl Gilroy likes this.
  3. dmiller2007

dmiller2007 Well-Known Member

Touching on question number 3, your phone might seem to be operating fine but a factory reset after the ota won't hurt. Might as well do it if you don't have much to put back on it.

Carl Gilroy likes this.
  4. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

Responses in blue :)

Carl Gilroy and NightAngel79 like this.
  5. Carl Gilroy

Carl Gilroy New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone for responding. Definitely helped me.

What do you think about rooting it after a year when the warranty expires?

6. Pretkomel

Pretkomel Well-Known Member

Go for it is you want to. Just do not brick your phone. :)

Carl Gilroy likes this.
  7. jayefef

jayefef Well-Known Member

Rooting voids your warranty right away. If the warranty has also expired go for it. But if you are still under contract, you will have to file a claim for a replacement or buy at retail.

Don't forget about hitting the THANKS button. People like that!

Carl Gilroy likes this.
  8. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

If in a year you have educated yourself enough about the phone and rooting, go for it.

Hell, if you can figure it out next week then go for it.

All I am saying is that you shouldn't be messing with your phone if you don't know what you are doing. Rooting is not very easy and if something goes wrong, it's completely on you to fix it (as your warranty is now voided).

And if you actually brick the phone, there isn't anything you can do to recover it.

Carl Gilroy likes this.
  9. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Sending this to the support section:D;)

Carl Gilroy likes this.