new user

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ElAguila, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ElAguila

ElAguila Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    South Texas
    I have my phone coming tomorrow. I have done some research and I have downloaded the latest htc sync and drivers for my windows 7. I have downloaded a few utilities as well. Anything in particular that I need to do to with the phone or any apps that have to be installed first? Also what file format does it use on the microSD card? Is it a linux format?

Advertisement
  2. troyboytn

troyboytn Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Knoxville
    the sd card format is Fat32. first thing to do after setup is complete....go to home>menu>settings>applications>and check unknown sources so the voice mail update will install when downloaded. also, in settings>about phone>system updates> click update PRL (prefered roaming list)....this will help the phone pick the most optimal tower in range for the best phone/data reception

3. ElAguila

Oct 28, 2009
    South Texas
    Thanks for the info. I am going to go tomorrow and see if I can pick up one of the rubberized hard cases for it and a screen protector.

4. ElAguila

Oct 28, 2009
    South Texas
    I have some apps that I have downloaded. Will they install off of the sd card?

5. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

6. ElAguila

Oct 28, 2009
    South Texas
    What I meant is this. I don't want to install apps to the sdcard. I have the app installation file on the sd card. Would I be able to install it from the sd card to my rom or do they only install through downloading.

7. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

Oh! I got ya now. :) Well, without using a third-party app, the only way to install non-Market apps is with the HTC Sync software from a Windows PC.

You can also use a third-party file browser like ASTRO and open the .apk file from directly on the phone and it will start the installation process.

8. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Data Tech
    Chicago, IL
    Have you tried using HTC Sync? It has an application installer that will allow you to install apps. You will need to check Unknown sources to do this. Under Settings > Applications.

9. ElAguila

Oct 28, 2009
    South Texas
    I have downloaded the htc sync software. I am waiting for ups to bring me my shiny new hero as we speak. Thanks for the info!!

Tags: