New Verizon Customer *86 tip

Last Updated:

1. PantherWreck

PantherWreck Member

Hi All,

I couldn't find a post related to this topic here regarding the droid. I am 30 days into my droid or so and my wife and I discovered that calls to check your own voicemail using *86 show as used minutes on the bill. Calls to your own number, however, route straight to your voicemail box and count as a free call to a verizon user.

You can change your default voicemail dialing number in Settings | Voicemail settings | Voicemail number. Just change *86 to your verizon number.

Hope this is helpful to some new verizon folks.

Regards,
    pw

melissab and PerCompLLC like this.
  2. mrjam3s

mrjam3s Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip!

3. aaronmach1

aaronmach1 Well-Known Member

wow very interesting thanks!

4. chiefvelo

chiefvelo Well-Known Member

call verizon customer service. i would say it may show on your bill but is not counting towards your minutes used, if i remember corectly. However the message left does count towards your minutes used unless that has been changed. you could try google voice or "youmail" and make that number one of your unlimited friends and family numbers.

5. akkkmed

akkkmed Guest

OP- Thanks for the tip!
    @chiefvelo- As long as we've been with Verizon (15 years to be specific), calling voicemail counts as minutes. So if it counts as minutes, it sounds like OP is right on that's how it shows up on the bill.
    (First post here, yay!)

6. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

This is why I never use my VZW voicemail. Not only is it an annoying, outdated system, but you lose minutes checking it.. no thanks.

I switched over to the free Youmail service and get free visual voicemail over data connection with their phone app. Google Voicemail is better as well.

7. speeddemon40

speeddemon40 Member

A while ago, I saw that there was a way to put your passkey in there to. So you wouldn't have to enter it every time

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

That's like letting your browser remember your passwords for your sites.

if anyone ever steals the device, your passwords / passcodes are now in their hands.

Bad idea.

9. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

@PantherWreck - Great tip! Thanks! :)

10. TXLady

TXLady Well-Known Member

Which is also why all your computers (even at home) and phones should ALWAYS be password protected. One of the things I dislike the most about Droid is the lack of built-in password protection. The screwy pattern thing is just not adequate.

11. jtreminio

jtreminio Member

I'm a little confused here. Doesn't Verizon allow unlimited calls to all Verizon customers?

Doesn't your voicemail number count as a Verizon number?

12. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

Only unlimited to VZW numbers.. Voicemail isn't a mobile number. I still say it's pretty lame they make you use minutes though.