New Virus threat

Last Updated:

1. Jason Pedersen

Jason Pedersen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A friend of mine using an iPhone said he's contracted a virus through T-Mobiles system that seems to have originated from an Android based device. It replicates phone numbers and calls people using their own number, or someone else's. His description is sketchy at best, and I don't quite understand it myself. I have done an internet search but have come up with nothing.

What it sounds like to me is someone using a Caller ID app calling other people using his number, but, according to him, T-Mobile is has heard of this "virus" and the only way to rid yourself of it is to change your number. Thought I'd run it passed you guys, see if you knew anything.

Advertisement
  2. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Haven't heard about it, and I'm skeptical of the veracity of the report. In addition, I've never heard of a virus being propagated through a carrier's system.

I don't know how an Android virus would cross platforms and affect an iPhone.

EarlyMon likes this.
  3. Jason Pedersen

Jason Pedersen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After getting some more info, it's as I suspected, it's an app called Spoof. A friend of his or someone got a hold of his number and is using it to crank call him.

Of course, he's blaming the entire Android platform because the iPhone is soooooo perfect. ;) It's available on the Apple App Store and for Blackberry as well.

EarlyMon likes this.
  4. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

Its in the Apple Appstore and he is blaming the Android platform?

Is your friend kind of a dope? LOL

5. Daedalus

Daedalus Well-Known Member

Vegas do really have to ask that question? his friend is using a iPhone afterall.

6. intltracon

intltracon Active Member

LoL

7. DavDroid

DavDroid Well-Known Member

It's actually also available on the market. I have it and it allows you to change your number, record your conversation and disguise your voice :)