New voicemail notification always says I have new voicemail when I don'tSupport

Last Updated:

1. rogue780

rogue780 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have AT&T with the Samsung Captivate. I came from an original iPhone. The iPhone was having lots of issues such as getting a new voice mail notification but no missed call, or I would get a missed call and they said they left a voice mail, but I would get no voice mail notification. Texts were hit or miss and my wifi didn't work...and I guess that isn't really relevant to this conversation.

Anyway, since AT&T finally put a decent android phone on the market, I got the captivate on Monday. Right out of the box it said I had 1 new voice mail. I check my voice mail and it says I have no voice mails. 2 days later it still says I have a voice mail, but when I check i don't. This is very frustrating. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can fix this problem? One thing I was thinking is that on the iPhone system I have a voice mail that I never checked and the captivate is reporting on that, but I'm not sure if that's really how it works.

Thanks for the help in advance.

-Shawn

Advertisement
  2. MeVirtually

MeVirtually Active Member

Not too sure, but when I worked briefly for another telecommunications company, weird discrepancies between the systems would occur infrequently. Call AT&T and alert them to the problem so they can investigate it, or at least see if they can delete your mailbox on the system and create a new one, if you have no voice mails that you have saved in it.

When I switched from my 3GS to the Captivate, AT&T apparently took off my visual voicemail, but I never got regular voicemail back, which I didn't realize for a few days, so they fixed it over the phone and had me check it while on the phone, so you can do that with them, if they build you a new voicemail box over the phone. They also have Tech Support chat, if being on the phone doesn't work for you.

rogue780 likes this.
  3. plummy

plummy Active Member

I had the same experience. The voicemail wasn't active from "enhanced" vm that the iphone has, so they have to set up a new standard vm box. None of my old voicemails transferred over.

Missing the visual vm, I went ahead and set up Google Voice as my vm service now.

4. MeVirtually

MeVirtually Active Member

I thought about doing that, how do you like it? I set it up once and tested it out, and because I have my phone ring 30 seconds (6 rings) and then rings Google Voice however many times before VM picks up, so the phone rang and rang and rang, and then picked up. I figured I wouldn't mess with it, as I hardly get voice mail, but how's it working for you?

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

For me, it works great. I don't use a special Google Voice # and just use my existing cell #. I get the voicemail notification immediately like with stock voicemail, but if I wait a bit the transcription comes through as well. I also get an email notification which is great if I'm away from my phone for some reason, and I can listen to the voicemail online.

The transcription isn't 100% accurate of course but it's enough to give me the general idea of the message (and therefore the urgency).

6. ~Reaper~

~Reaper~ Well-Known Member

google voice all the way man

i love it

7. ranjo

ranjo Member

The same thing happened to me. I had to call my cell# from another phone, leave myself a message and then listen to it on my Captivate. Once I did that the notification went away.

tadziowv63 and ccretur like this.
  8. stormyblue

stormyblue New Member

The voicemail notification remains on my notification bar even though I have checked and deleted all messages on the AT&T voicemail system. I can't figure out how to clear it out on my phone (or with AT&T?) I followed some suggestion here and setup Google Voice.

GV works real slick. When I get a voicemail GV notifies me by email. It would be nice if it showed up on my notification screen since all I really want is my notification screen to be accurate.

So now, I still can't get the old AT&T notification cleared. Do I need to contact AT&T? If so, will I have to ask them to close my voicemail account? I'm not using it anyway and I don't see any other way to clear it out but to shut the darn thing down.

Unless there is some way to clear the notification on my phone directly.

Thanks for everyone's helpful comments on this thread...

9. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

It sounds like you don't have Google Voice handling your at&t voicemails. For example, you have an at&t number and a Google Voice number. When someone calls your at&t number and leaves a voicemail, it alerts you through the Notification Bar and you check it by conventional means. When someone calls your Google Voice number and leaves a voicemail, it alerts you through via email (you can also configure it to text you) and you can check it in Google Voice.

There's a way to allow Google Voice to handle your at&t voicemail. This would mean that if someone was to call you on your at&t number and leave a voicemail, it's Google Voice that grabs the phone call and handles the voicemail. It becomes completely integrated in the phone. To set this up, all you should need to do is dial a specific number and hit send. The number can be found in your Google Voice settings. It looks something like *70<yourATTAreaCode><yourATTNumber>. After this, you can check your at&t voicemails in Google Voice.

With regards to clearing the at&t "new message" notification... I have no idea how to do that. I've never used at&t's voicemail with this phone.

10. tadziowv63

tadziowv63 New Member

this worked --- thanks so much for your answers. Called from another phone and when I deleted the message -- the indicator went away. Thanks R