• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New (worried) android user: Some questions about background apps

Pinoken

Lurker
Jan 3, 2012
So here is the thing, I am a new android user and i recently got the Samsung galaxy ACE with android 2.2

I noticed some services running in the background and since I don't have free internet acces all around the world so I'm a bit uncomfortable because I don't know wich of these are connecting to the internet and thus raising my bill! :eek:

E.g. I downloaded this ap for facebook (for when i'm connected to Wi-fi) but when I close facebook and log off of it, the app keeps running. Even when I stop the service and the process, it just keeps rebooting. Same thing with something called "Google services" and "E-Mail" (smsrelayservice). And the "software-update" & "Maps" service isn't exactly looking like it isn't using internet either.

Could someone help me out :thinking: , I'm so scared of getting off-the-charts mobile bills that i haven't even dared to disconnect from my Wi-Fi at home and I turned off my phone the entire time unless I needed to text someone and waited for the answer.

The facebook app won't be using data unless its set to refresh. Just go to its settings and turn it to manual refresh. And uncheck background sync in menu>settings>accounts and sync.

Or just to be sure, go to menu>settings>wireless and network>mobile network>use packet data>uncheck. With packet data disabled, even opening the browser wont connect you to the internet. The only way you'd be able to connect to internet is if you are on wifi.

Upvote 0
If you're at home just continue to use Wifi for your phone. You'll still get text messages and phone calls while on Wifi. This is what I do, and my battery lasts a heck of a lot longer. 3G only turns on if I leave the house and get out of range of the router. When I get back home, Wifi auto turns itself back on.

While not really relevant, reading this post here will help you understand background processes a bit better.

Upvote 0
Hi I have a Samsung Galaxy Prevail through Boost Mobile. I finally got it rooted again thanks to you guys.

I was wondering if anyone had a list of common apps that can be removed safely through Titanium Backup before I start removing all the new bloatware.

My phone bricked and wouldn't update to the new OS, I sent it in to Samsung the replaced the motherboard and installed the newest version of the OS.

It took me about 2 weeks to find the right crack for it, now there are about 20 new apps on the phone and I would Like to remove most of them since this verision of phone is very limited on space. Before I got it rooted I would constantly get thee memory full errors, although it did say over 16k of space was left.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones