New X10General

Last Updated:

1. jimboh

jimboh Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

New here as i just got a new X10 black on O2 in the Uk, as an upgrade from an iPhone 3G.

So nice to have some say in how a device is used, been locked into the apple ecosystem/sandbox for too long now!

Just read the accompanying booklets in the box, and its got a 2 year warranty, finally have a phone in warranty for the length of a contract.

Love it so far, now that I have added the HTC keyboard(so much better and responsive), and ported over Google Navigation(which is so cool, apart from the crappy voice synthesis!)

Battery life is awful, not even a full day on a full charge(was first full charge though),but booklet and general consensus says this will get better. But some say theirs are good from the start, so i will charge and discharge for a week or so, until i ring and complain, hundreds of hours standby my shiny metal butt!

Does anyone else get random little vibrates every so often, it does it and i check the phone and no notification at all, any ideas?

It also looks like the phone has a preapplied screen protector, can anyone confirm this? I couldnt get hold of an aftermarket protector for it, so i stuck the old one off my iphone onto it in the mean time, and it actually feels more responsive, very weird!

Bit of a snap, crackle and pop on the internal ear speaker, even on 16 firmware, which is annoying, but hopefully when the android 2.x is released for it should sort a multitude of launch problems.

All in all very impressed, and getting more so everytime i learn something new or add a must have app(kb and navigation)

Thanks

James

Advertisement
  2. puppet_master

puppet_master Well-Known Member

Hi James,

Yes the battery isn't great but then you have a 1ghz processor and that huge screen to power as well as all you data connections :)

The battery does improve after a few days but you'll still be lucky to get a full day out of it with normal use. There is a way to fix this however :)

Go on to the android market and download an app called 'JuiceDefender'. It saves power by automatically switching your 3G/GPRS on and off for short periods (1 minute in every 15 for instance) while your phone is not in use. This makes sure you still receive data notifications but that you're not wasting power by constantly and unnecessarily being connected to 3G. This won't effect your ability to receive calls and txts, and by switching on your 3G for a few minutes in every 15, you'll still get your e-mail notifications etc without any problems. It also cleverly enables everything when your screen is in use and also automatically switches your wi-fi off when you're out of range of a recognised hot-spot or router. Lastly, it also switches off 3G when your battery is down to less than 35% meaning you always have a reserve for making calls if/when needed.

Lots of people claim to improve battery life 4x!! (there's a monitor built in to tell you the improvement), but mine says 2.8x which is still fantastic!

Regarding the random vibration, this may be to tell you power is low... but I don't know for sure.... and yes, it does come with a pre-applied screen protector although it looks like you pulled it off and replaced it will an ill-fitting iPhone one instead :/

-pup-

3. jimboh

jimboh Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for that

Ill give juice defender a go when ive done a week of complete discharges.

I actually put the old iphone protecter over the preapplied one, didnt remove it. So for some reason its better(or i percieve it to be!) with 2 protectors on!

I have since hard reset it and started again, i think the random vibrations were it checking for mail, as their is a vibrate notification for just checking!

thanks

James