• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New ZTE Valet jerkiness

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
I just wound up with a ZTE Valet, long story. It runs very reliably and has room for a zillion apps. But it acts jerky, like any computer does when it's just waking up.

Here's what I typically show running, which I've used on weaker droids with no jerkiness:

11.0mb -- Clipper+
04.4mb -- Power On Volume
03.0mb -- Battery Notifier
02.5mb -- Silent Toggle Widget
02.3mb -- No Lock

Here's what the system uses:

20.0mb -- Settings
09.7mb -- Android Keyboard (AOSP)
08.2mb -- Google Services
03.8mb -- Media
02.5mb -- Wiper App

260mb used, 126mb free

I've uninstalled Google Play Services and Hangouts. That seems to help a bit, but I'm looking for more tricks... please don't say 'root it.'

Since this thread is my diary...

Out of disgust and boredom, I ordered a refurb Centura, just to see if it behaved better than this jerky Valet, and to see if I could figure out an SD unreadableness problem I had with a previous Centura. I got it, still couldn't make the SD work, got disgusted and bored again so I went back to Walmart to have the phone line transferred back to the Valet.

The young whiz-kid kept saying that the Centura was a better phone, to which I agreed for the most part. Then he said the Valet is rooted. I claimed it never was but I might still have some leftover apps of my bricking experience. Then I asked him to name one or two apps that tip him off and he said, "pretty much all of them." Over a hundred apps and pretty much all of them reveal my rootedness?!

So curiosity made me install 'Am I Rooted,' and no, I am not... yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones