• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NEW!!!! ZTE Warp sequent for $200

Will we be able to get the system dump? If so would that be a warp 1 update?I love my warp if we can make this a update cool if no I may just buy one

it shouldn't be too hard to port but it wont be 100% operational without dev work... it may not seem like there are alot of differences between the two but there are... just having the same manufacturer doesn't mean anything... but none the less... as soon as we can get our hands on a system dump... we can patch it up... hack up a compatible kernel... and bam!!! An ics rom... can't wait to get my hands on it

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Reactions: nefcpainter119
Upvote 0
Actually, mathematically, you would be the sucker if you sign a 2yr contract for a subsidized phone. Let's calculate. $200 contract phone + $70/mo for 24 months = $1,880. Or no contract $370 phone + $40/mo for 24 months = $1,330. That's $550 in the pocket over the course of 2yrs, enough to buy another phone if you would like. Moreover, the $70/mo plan won't have unlimited voice mins. This is as cheap as it comes with these contract carriers. Most plans on 2yr contracts run over $100/mo with unlimited everything (although we know data is no longer unlimited). So the savings could be as high another $30/mo for 24 months or $720. Add that to the $550 and now we are talking....

Flawed math. You don't just get $40(and Boost may be getting rid of shrinkage and $40 monthly plans anyway, thats the rumor) a month and you don't get to upgrade for as cheap as if you sign a contract. My original point was you might as well sign with a contract carrier and get a better phone the SIII vs. the SII. The math is close but you aren't getting as good of phone, saving much, and if you are are its minimal by upgrading 2 to 3 times every couple years. You know its true. Why fight it. And when WiMax gets bumped for LTE and the newest technology comes around then what?

The bottom line is that you only really save by upgrading cheaply and/or stick with your existing phone and shrinkage plan. The $370 SII or $500+ Iphone thats been sitting on the shelf for over a year deflates the purpose of saving money and you are getting old technology that you may likely want to upgrade from in a year. I don't care I'm just giving my opinion of how Boost takes advantage of suckers who upgrade all the time.

Upvote 0
Flawed math. You don't just get $40 a month and you don't get to upgrade for as cheap as if you sign a contract. My original point was you might as well sign with a contract carrier and get a better phone the SIII vs. the SII. The math is close but you aren't getting as good of phone, saving much, and if you are are its minimal by upgrading 2 to 3 times every couple years. You know its true. Why fight it. And when WiMax gets bumped for LTE and the newest technology comes around then what?

How is his math flawed?

Upvote 0
You don't automatically get a $40 a month plan so thats not true(thats $180 you save by assuming that). And upgrades are cheaper under contract then buying a $370 phone(so there goes your $550 you thought you saved). I know friends who upgraded from the SII to SIII for $50. If you start from scratch it 15x6, 10x6, 5x6($180) to get to $40 a month if that even exists 18 months from now.

Upvote 0
And their phone bill is also almost $100 (if not more than $100) a month.

I don't plan on "upgrading" phones every 6 months. The only real reason I bought the S2 was because the Warp was such an unreliable piece of garbage and ended up dying on me.

The S2 will do anything that the S3 will. The only apps that wouldn't work are OS based and that's very few anyway.

Reactions: SelfElevated2
Upvote 0
And their phone bill is also almost $100 (if not more than $100) a month.

I don't plan on "upgrading" phones every 6 months. The only real reason I bought the S2 was because the Warp was such an unreliable piece of garbage and ended up dying on me.

The S2 will do anything that the S3 will. The only apps that wouldn't work are OS based and that's very few anyway.

Thats a good plan. $40 a month is great and about half what you pay elsewhere but I was just pointing out something. They love it when you pay $200-$370 every year for a new phone, You think you are saving but in the end you buy out their old stock, a year old technology they can't sell and in the end add that $200-$370 phone upgrade you did to your bill. For me I'm going to wait for the Warp Sequent reviews and decide on buying it. I already spent $180 on my Warp last January, so in less then a year they got me reconsidering and my phone works just fine. I'll probably wait until the verdict is in on the Sequent and wait for the price to drop. I don't even get 4G in my areas(neither do you) so why get a SII? I was just trying to point out that Boost loves suckers who buy their old Sprint stock and upgrade. If you upgrade are you really saving money vs. a contract phone(and by spending an extra $370 you could have gotten an SIII) instead of buying old technology? If you don't get that whatever I'm moving on.

Upvote 0
Flawed math. You don't just get $40(and Boost may be getting rid of shrinkage and $40 monthly plans anyway, thats the rumor) a month and you don't get to upgrade for as cheap as if you sign a contract. My original point was you might as well sign with a contract carrier and get a better phone the SIII vs. the SII. The math is close but you aren't getting as good of phone, saving much, and if you are are its minimal by upgrading 2 to 3 times every couple years. You know its true. Why fight it. And when WiMax gets bumped for LTE and the newest technology comes around then what?

The bottom line is that you only really save by upgrading cheaply and/or stick with your existing phone and shrinkage plan. The $370 SII or $500+ Iphone thats been sitting on the shelf for over a year deflates the purpose of saving money and you are getting old technology that you may likely want to upgrade from in a year. I don't care I'm just giving my opinion of how Boost takes advantage of suckers who upgrade all the time.
Wow you are so off.Just what is it that you are trying to justify to yourself ? Contract free is the smartest and most sensible why to go and most cost saving.SMH where do I begin at dissecting your confused broken logic.I have a headache. Thats to bad your warp was a unstable,but there are many like myself with zero problems.

Upvote 0
Lol, seriously?! With a "release" like this phone had, I don't see it being any better than the original Warp. It's like they built these things a while back, and someone happened to stumble across them, sitting in the back of the storage closet and was like "ooh shit! I knew we forgot somethin". They probably just guessed at the specs the thing got too lol.

I hope I'm wrong, from a consumer standpoint, but I don't believe I am lol

Upvote 0
Yes, if you want a pia to root phone go HTC, if you want a cheap phone that we in all things root have started to make better, stick around. There are flaws yes, but this new incarnation of the warp is an attempt to fix those flaws. To consider the HTC ultimately better, is to not see potential in zte.
Think about it like this, GM is a huge manufacturer that every loves or hates but, has some what trust in, along comes this crappy little car manufacturer Hyundai, instantly getting the stigma of just being garbage, fast forward ten years and look at what they make now. Considering time tables, and the fact the automotive design would take longer that cell phone, you would see a similar situation brewing here. ZTE made a phone that wasn't perfect, FOR $200. Now they are trying to step it up a notch, yes at this point, maybe they can't compete with HTC or Samsung. But they are getting closer. I wouldn't discount them on one bad experience. Just my two cents ;)

That's a great point but ZTE lost me due to customer service. I recently sent the my Warp to get it repair because it was shutting off, not rebooting but literally turned off. Having freezing and rebooting is just normal for me. I actually welcome the rebooting but having the phone shut off, I have no idea for how long it's been off to miss calls or texts.

Anyway, after less than 2 weeks, my Warp shutting off again, mind you I was without my Warp for 2 weeks during the repair. So call back ZTE and the rep tells me that the technician didn't find anything wrong with it so the only thing the tech did was update the software. I guess they don't believe customer's words. So I'll be without my Warp for another 2 weeks. Since my Warp is my only smart phone, I'll be going old school and use my old Samsung Rant for another 2 weeks!

Upvote 0
a few concerns

1. its an intel atom processor isnt that a x86 platform :thinking:
2. That sounds like a nightmare to port to our snapdragons wont
they have different antenna and all new drivers?
3. Htc will always be bad because of sense. phones with the same
hardware bench thousands of points higher because of no
"sense" to bog it down.
4. biggest rom request for HTC phones = NONsense
5. a processor speed and core count don't mean squat core
architecture is what is important. example core i5 beats amd
bulldozer 8 core any day you should really look at floating point
operations and calculations per second
6. And the galaxy s2 4g is only wimax i got lte and hspa+ in my
area
no wimax
7. Plus thats alot of scratch for a phone i mean thats a new
graphics card for my beast or closer to a new 680GTX :D
8. and ontop of all of that until i get my hands on a warp seq its all
speculation what i can say about this phone except for the fact
that it has not just ben sitting on the shelves its the first
Americana Intel processor phone be happy :) and if its really a
x86 that means we can put even more software on it :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones