Newb- coupla questions

1. khaos

khaos Member

So I did my reading (obviously) before starting this post and I think I got this process all figured out, but before I root and brick my phone, I would like some confirmation from the more technically inclined people.

Basically today my phone $hit the bed and I got the "congratulations upgrade!" message and all my apps FC and all my data is lost, and the phone can't see the SD. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...............CCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK

Anyways, I have been playing with the idea of root for a while now and since I now have to do a factory reset i thought it might be appropriate (plus the inconvenience of all this puts an exclamation point on NEEDING Titanium Backup or Nandroid.

What I want to get out of root:
    Access all my files, even the hidden ones
    Full back ups
    Root only apps

What I have no interest in:
    Custom UIs, ROMs, kernels, etc.

Is it possible to just root it and be done or does rooting involve all that flashing and roming and other nonsense? It seems like one could just turn s-off and get superuser or something right?

Advertisement
  2. Tr1age

Tr1age Active Member

Not sure but wish I knew too
  3. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

Certainly you can just root it and continue running the stock ROM. Another advantage you will gain is the ability to disable or remove bloatware.
  4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yep just root if you wish as long as the factory reset cures your issues and you have a stable version of stock to begin with.
  5. ruddogg

ruddogg Well-Known Member

yup, just root & still keep/use the factory Sense UI. That's what I'm doing. I'm not using any custom ROM's either. I rooted so that my wife & I can have free wifi tethering forthe iPad 2.

Although I heard some good things about the Z ROM's with the new Sense UI... we'll see. With all the new phones coming out, our Incredible's specs aren't that much different, especially since even the Thunderbolt only has a Snapdragon & not a dual core.
  6. incrdiguy20

incrdiguy20 New Member

You can just root it. At the moment that is what I am doing . I have found that unrevOKEd 3 us the easiest way to do it