NEWB having trouble :(

Last Updated:

1. Jragon16

Jragon16 Member This Topic's Starter

I have had my hero now for about 2 weeks. I have read a lot of stuff on this phone but a majority of it seems to be from a long time ago and half of it I dont quite understand.

1st ?:
    In my manual it tells me how to sync the phone to my computer, but its off. It tells me once connected to the computer to go to notifications > usb connected > mount ... well that doesnt show on my phone. In the notifications all it says is USB debugging connected, I click on that and it gives me 3 options to check or not... NONE being MOUNT. How the hell do I do this :(

2nd ?:
    There is TONS of crap on this phone that I dont care to use and is bothering me that its taking up space and even there. TV, music, sports, flickr, nascar, peep (whatever that is), football, stocks, teeter, twitter, youtube, etc. How can I get rid of this useless crap? Id like to think of my phone as my lil computer that I can personalize and from what I have read so far, im right... I would love to be able to personalize this like I have all my computers. Is there a way?

3rd ?:
    Mabilo wallpapers. I saved a bunch but when I go to look at my albums, only 5% of them are there. When I go into the app, and choose my downloads, it forces a close on me. When I am lucky to get it to work I can see everything I have saved, but none of them are on my phone :( How can I get them on my phone so I can then delete the program cause I will have all I need from it.

4th ?:
    When I go to people (contacts) and try to get their FB profile put on there it doesnt work. it tells me to search but nothing happens, I type in a name and it finds nothing. Am I missing something

There are probably more questions but thats all I can think of as of right now. The main things that I want to finish on my phone will be done with help on those 4 issues. Sorry for being a COMPLETE NEWB.

Advertisement
  2. Jragon16

oh ya the same thing that happens to my wallpapers happens with my ringtones. Only a couple are in the phone.

3. Jragon16

I took the SD card out and put it into my laptop. I see a bunch of folders, am I able to delete music and create new folders for my ringtons or wallpapers?

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

1) You should get the option to mount in a seperate notification whenever you plug in the phone. I'd try re/installing HTC Sync to make sure all your drivers are up to date and working.

2) The only way to remove all the apps you don't want is to root your firmware. It does risk your warranty and can be quite an involved process if your phone is running the newer, patched firmware. That said, there are a lot of benefits to the process too. (Such as having your hero running android 2.1).

3)
    When it comes to organising media I set it up like this:

/sdcard/media/images/(Individual folders for wallpapers & lockscreens etc)
    /sdcard/media/videos
    /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones
    /sdcard/media/audio/notifications
    /sdcard/media/audio/alarms
    /sdcard/media/audio/music

Then it makes sure my ringtones don't show up in the media player and so on.

4) Have you got your facebook account set up and syncing? If you go to Settings >> Acounts + Sync you should find 'Facebook for HTC Sense' and you can make sure contacts are being synced with the phone.

Oh and Peep is a twitter app.

Welcome to the forum!

5. Jragon16

1) I couldnt get anything to work so I took out the SD card, thank god I had a adapter for it to go into my laptop. From there found the exe file and installed it. Now I can sync... but now I'm having problems again. When I sync my contacts with my computer, it only put a couple people into my computer contacts and deleted random people (not put into my pc) from my phone.. AH!

2) I dont know what my phone is running. I would love to learn this root process lol. What all can be done going this route? Is it just to delete factory crap? If my phone ever needed to be replaced would I be able to put it back to factory settings? How much better is Android 2.1?

3) I was able to access the folders for the wallpapers and ring tones and put them into a folder that had the ones that did show up on the computer. If this has worked yet I cannot be sure for I just finished. Why does wallpapers and lockscreens need to be different folders? Cant I designate a wallpaper to a lockscreen from the wallpaper folder (via phone). Same question for the audio files

4) Yes, fb is up and running and syncing? Thus why I am confused as to why it wont work. I have some contacts in sync with my gmail. Once I get the sync working properly from pc to phone will I be able to get it all matching via gmail? Totally new to that part.

Ick I hate twitter lol
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! You have been a great help :p

6. Jragon16

What I kind of find annoying or maybe I'm mistaken, are the apps I hear are just so great... but when I read about them, my phone already does them. For example, I read a top 10 list that people swore by. They were
    Timeriffic - my phone settings control wifi but I do have a shitty brightness app that doesnt work half the time
    Weather Widget -came with phone
    UltimateFaves - came with phone
    Visual Voicemail - came with phone, unless they mean visual like video...
    Mobile Defense - same as my antivirus?
    SMS Popup - my phone shows it at the top of the screen, small, but readable
    Battery Widget - my phone already shows the exact % on the lockscreen
    Wallr
    (app looks in a designated wallpaper folder and will randomly select a new wallpaper, on a schedule you set up) - do you know anything about this. Only app I read about that is something I dont have and need or would really like

Another great ? that I've been wondering and had a hard time doing, I CAN use my phones internet for my pc correct? Cause I seem to jhave the options on the phone but it never wants to work. Error this, error that. My best friends router is CRAP but since she wont let me get a new one, my internet cuts out every 5-20 minutes

7. Xyro

1) I've only ever synced my contacts once and it didn't go so well, so you should probably wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to help you there :p I stick with the gmail sync because it's so much easier.

2) Well, you can root your current firmware, which would let you remove all those pre-installed apps. It also lets you use some new apps, such as the OverClock widget (Can be used to save battery when the screen is off), titanium backup (the best app for app backup/restore) and AutoKiller (Improves android's memory management to speed up the phone).

If you go even further you can switch to custom firmware. This comes pre-rooted and with newer versions of android (You're on 1.5, and the android world has had 1.6, 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 is slowly being rolled out to different phones at the moment). This allows you way more customisation over your phone.

But it does risk your warranty. I've never seen anybody reporting a problem with this here, but you do have to be aware HTC could end your warranty for doing this, should you ever need it repaired. Luckily, so long as the phone is actually switching on, you can always reverse the entire process by reinstalling an official update.

3) I separate lockscreen/wallpaper images just to be organised. It makes no difference to android. Music is a little more complicated though. By having those separate folders it makes sure the random buzzes and beeps that I use for alarms/notifications don't show up in the music app (and vies versa).

4) Basically you just need both types of contacts to sync to the phone. Your facebook contacts and your normal contacts (doesn't matter where you're syncing them from). If you're not getting a list of all your fb contacts when you try to link them then your phone isn't syncing them.

My phone is doing this too at the minute too (I switched to android 2.1 yesterday and haven't got round to trying to sort it yet :p). It won't be the same fix for your phone though, unfortunately.

8. Xyro

That's probably down to the fact that our phones don't use normal 'vanilla' android. They have the Sense user interface, made by HTC, and it adds a tone of features that vanilla android lacks.

And yes, you should be able to use your mobile internet for the PC (teathering) using HTC Sync and a USB cable. Rooted phones can turn the phone into a WiFI hotspot for the PC too.

Although your mobile company may or may not want you doing that.