• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newb to this, need help.

J-Bert

Nov 25, 2009
After doing alot of reading, I'd like to finally root my phone. Unfortunately, I'm a newb when it comes to something this extensive (just don't have the knowledge).

First of all, I just had the phone updated last week due to random re-boots. The current Firmware is 2.1-update 1.

I thought I saw a thread a few days ago about not being able to root 2.1 - is this correct?

My primary reason for wanting to root is to be able to occasionally tether my laptop when wifi isn't needed - the increased speed is a second benefit.

From here, where do I go?

After doing alot of reading, I'd like to finally root my phone. Unfortunately, I'm a newb when it comes to something this extensive (just don't have the knowledge).

First of all, I just had the phone updated last week due to random re-boots. The current Firmware is 2.1-update 1.

I thought I saw a thread a few days ago about not being able to root 2.1 - is this correct?

My primary reason for wanting to root is to be able to occasionally tether my laptop when wifi isn't needed - the increased speed is a second benefit.

From here, where do I go?

As long as you have a Sprint CDMA Hero, if you are running 1.5 You can follow the guide I wrote up here. If you are running 2.1, you can follow this

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones