Newbie Alert: Attempting first flash, assistance needed with other mods...

Last Updated:

1. projectpaki

projectpaki Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I am picking up my Captivate tomorrow morning, and I want to flash it out of the box. I have been doing a lot of reading, but I have no confidence in what I am doing.

Now I know there is a simple one-click unroot, and I'm going to choose that bc its seems the easiest to root and unroot. After rooting, I want to load the Cognition ROM. Here is my first question, do I load OCLF first, and then flash the ROM or after, or does it even matter bc Cognition has Voodoo lag fix on it? Can I load both or would it not make a difference?

I also read that you should always run a backup before flashing a MOD. What does backup really do? Is it similar to like a System Restore on Windows?
    What do you suggest is the better way to backup your data before flashing a ROM, NanDroid/Clockwork or Titanium?

Also, which ROM do I flash? I do want froyo, so do I just flash the latest version (Cognition v2.4.1) or for some reason it seems a lot of people stick to Cognition v2.2. beta 9, is there a particular reason? Whatever I flash to, I want to stick with until Gingerbread releases.

Now after flashing a ROM, I would like to install Setiron kernel (actually I dont care for the kernel or care for what it does save the BLN- BackLight Notification function) via SetiroN i9000 SuperOptimized ReOriented v1.2.6/1.3.5 ULF OC/UV BFQ 343Mb BLN ([KERNEL] SetiroN i9000 SuperOptimized ReOriented v1.2.6/1.3.5 ULF OC/UV BFQ 343Mb BLN - xda-developers) but there is a lot of information there that I dont understand. I am very new to this, and was wondering if someone could give me some insight on how to do this. I read CapFAQ and cldnt find information on there.

Also, I wanted to add the Darkness theme ([THEME] Darknessv2.3 :: Black Dialer & Buttons! :: MM & CWM [2010.11.12] - xda-developers) but it has two options (1) JK2/JJ4 Cog Hybrid CWM Flash v2.3 -20101112 and (2) JI6 CWM Flash v2.3 -20101112-. Now I know JI6 and JK2 refer to updates but what do I choose? What is the difference?

Thanks to anyone who helps me. Also, I apologize in advance if I am inconveniencing somebody, I know a lot of people prefer that people research on their own, and I promise I have been googling this stuff for the past week. It is a lot of information tho, and can be confusing.

Advertisement
  2. peachpuff

peachpuff Well-Known Member

Keep reading until you do understand it, otherwise its pointless to continue.
    As for roms get this one as it has the setiron kernel and the dark theme that you want.
    As for rooting download z4root from the market, after that download rom manager and do a backup of your phone before flashing any roms.

3. jamina1

jamina1 Member

Ok, so I had written a diatribe to assist you but I'll be short - watch this video, it explains everything you need to know and helped me immensley. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfsmWONUF8E

Here's the rooting tool
    One Click Root for AT&T Captivate | Androidheadlines.com

It really is one click, so don't be surprised - it really threw me for a loop because I thought it would be more involved.

I ended up flashing this rom,
    [ROM][FROYO] Tayutama's 1.0.3 Lite Rom/Setiron's 1.2.6 Kernel with Extras - xda-developers

and there are better and more clear instructions which may help explain the process in its original thread, here:
    Tayutama's JPM Froyo w/Xcaliburinhand's Re-oriented Kernel - 11/04/2010 - xda-developers

But yeah, the video helped more than anything because it was the exact process I needed for the rom above.
    If all else fails, make sure you have a copy of stock to flash back to.
    [STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers

4. projectpaki

projectpaki Active Member This Topic's Starter

@jamina1, actually that youtube vid was exactly what i used when i flashed cognition. i think when installing flashwork mod recovery i clicked the wrong phone model.

however, when u flashed tayatumas rom, theres a lot of other steps involving the modem and such. i did want to install one of the setiron kernels (only for the backlight notification) but dont think im ready for anything after a simple one-click flash... yet