Newbie: Buy unlocked phone in US and use it in Canada?

Last Updated:

1. CaptainInsano

CaptainInsano Member This Topic's Starter

Hello and appologie for the newbie question as I'm still learning about the subject.

Because Canada is so slow in adopting new android phones, is it possible to buy a phone in the States, unlocked, and use it in Canada?

I'm looking at HTC G2 or Motorola Droid 2 (milestone 2). What would be the steps in getting them and using them in Canada?

I imagine getting a SIM card from one of our GSM carriers (I'm thinking Rogers), get a package with them (even just phone package as WIFI could get me the Internet access), and swap the SIM card in my new US droid phone.

Anyone did this before? How'd you do it and did it worked fine?

thanks

Advertisement
  2. faugusztin

faugusztin Well-Known Member

Seems like Canada has same frequencies as USA GSM operators, so all you need is getting a unlocked phone (without operator lock) and then you just put your own SIM from a canadian carrier in the phone.

I guess buying a phone without a contract is not common in USA/Canada, if these questions pop up ?

3. Dan0myte

Dan0myte Well-Known Member

No, the problem is our extremely limited selection of phones up here. If you want to be different or unique it's close to impossible, no matter which phone you choose you will see 10 other people on the same street corner holding one in their hand.

The U.S. always gets the newest phones before us & with more selection and variety, it's very tempting to buy a phone from south of the border and ship it up here so that you can impress your friends with the latest & greatest. :cool:

4. Dan0myte

Dan0myte Well-Known Member

To answer your question CaptainInsano, Canada use the same frequencies as AT&T in the states (850mhz for voice, 1900mhz for data) so any phone that AT&T sells you can import here and use on any network.

Phones from other networks (Sprint, Verizon, Tmobile, etc.) will work up here for voice calling only. Their data technologies are not compatible with our networks. You would be forced to use WiFi for any data transfers to the phone.