Newbie Friendly How To's w/ Instructional Videos

Last Updated:

1. TheUnlockr

TheUnlockr Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

Thought I'd share the updated How To's we have up on the site. All complete with easy to follow videos for newbies.

How To Root the G2 (Temporarily)-
    http://theunlockr.com/2010/10/20/how-to-root-the-t-mobile-g2-htc-vision-visionary-method/

How To: Overclock the G2 (Up to 1.42Ghz) -
    http://theunlockr.com/2010/10/20/t-...to-1-42ghz-how-to-overclock-your-t-mobile-g2/

How To Setup ADB -
    http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/06/how-to-set-up-adb-usb-drivers-for-android-devices/

How To Backup/Restore Your Android Phone -
    http://theunlockr.com/2010/02/06/how-to-backup-and-restore-your-android-phone/

Hope these help people! Enjoy!
    For a list of all our How To's (w Videos) sorted by Phone go here -
    http://theunlockr.com/how-tos/android-how-tos/

Advertisement
  2. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member Developer

While we all work on a full root solution for the G2, temproot is very useful, but a bit of a faff. Enter VISIONary.

VISIONary (so named since we're playing with the HTC Vision here right? ) is an application you install on your device which gives you an icon in your launcher.

• Click the icon (or have it run on boot!)
    • Vuala....Rooted!!!

Handy eh?

There is another little nicety in there too, in that when the root is finished, VISIONary launches /data/local/visionary.sh (if it exists), so if you have any stuff you want to happen every time you root, put it in there!

The application is now ONLY available from the Android Market. Note that the new release allows you to toggle whether on not the application runs on startup!

USB DEBUGGING MUST BE ENABLED FOR VISIONARY TO WORK!

Enjoy!!!

[​IMG]

Thanks to paulobrien over at XDA-Devs

Here's one more.....I dont think a video is necessary for this one....

UBRocked likes this.
  3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

rlegarda78 likes this.
  4. ronaldramsayii

Just yesterday I was saying I'd come out with a phone like this. I'd do something amazing that us die-hard peeps want.....well.....this definitely looks to fit the description. I'm gonna check it out....

5. saberhack

saberhack Active Member

I would just like to see the different phones come out and you choose the OS that goes on to it, with or with out the different shells, IE: Mobar, droid, what ever the hell HTC offers

6. ronaldramsayii

It was like that when Sense UI was on the Eris on VZW. You could turn off the Sense UI, which was a nice option. I know MotoBlur and TW you can't turn off the interface, which sucks beyond just be horrible. They're slowly taking away the openess that Google supports. I wish they would step in and do something to allow us the option of keeping or turning off the UIs that overlay Android.

Stock Android is the best Android hands down.....I think the manufacturers are trying to change that. But when Gingerbread is released, I hope it lives up to the hype of cutting back on the need for UIs.

7. paul-e

paul-e Member

ok so i got my phone rooted.... that was actually very easy. but being a dummy what can i do now? since im a bit of a visual person can i used this to load themes?

8. ronaldramsayii

Generally yes; themes, ROMs, kernels to overlock, wifi and wired tethering (free) and a few more things. The problem with the G2 right now is that developers can't do much...YET, because root is only temporary on the G2, it's not permanent yet. If you restart your phone, you'll have to root your phone again. There are a few people that are soooo close to getting permanent root for us G2 users. Everyday there's some sort of progress. Lately the steps to getting closer have been a lot bigger, so in the next week or two, I'm pretty confident we'll have permanent root. The you can expect all the things I stated above.

Be mindful though, rooting does void your warranty. So be careful with your phone. ;-)

paul-e likes this.
  9. paul-e

paul-e Member

yeah it seems like the android os is a lil more "labor" intensive to get themes and what not on it. but hopefully it'll all be worth it

10. WarBird87

WarBird87 Well-Known Member

i am temp rooted using the visionary app, now what else is possible to do while "rooted" i am a newb when it comes to this stuff... is there any way to get the white notification bar black?

11. lvnjamesnbrooke

lvnjamesnbrooke New Member

does this void the warrenty you have on the phone?

12. lvnjamesnbrooke

lvnjamesnbrooke New Member

if this is not temporary will it void my warranty? I want to root but I don't want to void my warranty

13. DanaH

DanaH New Member

What is the latest on the T-Mobile G2? Is it dead as far as any possibility of rooting or playing with? Every trail I go down to find a way to root it is a dead end. I'm looking for the visionary.apk file but it seems to have disappeared. Any ideas?