[NEWBIE] [Help Me] HTC Hero Questions | Thanks | :)

Last Updated:

1. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys. I just wanted to ask a few questions. I really want an HTC Hero. My N97 just sucks, plain & simple. I just have a few questions which I hope you guys will be able to help me with. This is the biggest Android community and what better place to start off my Android experience. :)

The only thing I am unsure about is the HTC Hero's 65000 Screen colours as opposed to the 16million of the N97.

Can somebody please help me with that issue.

65k colours VS 16mill.
    Will pictures look rubbish? Will the 65k colours have an effect on the phones usability (games/videos/pics etc)?
    I've heard about dots per inch... (see quote below)

The Hero has the same resolution as the iphone. Is Resolution more important as oppsoed to screen colours?
    The iPhones video's look really clear in terms of colour and clarity. My brothers iPhone is a dream to watch iplayer and films on, including youtube videos. Can the Hero play things as clear and on par with the iPhone?

Oh & hows the Camera on the Hero. Any good?
    Hows the sound quality? (Very important too me)

Your answers will inevitably sway my decision.
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. zukini

zukini Well-Known Member

Your being confused by the big numbers manufactures like to use to make things sound important, end of the day the screen looks great. There is only so much the naked eye can distinguish anyway.
    Camera is ok no flash but i think the pics are excellent (better than my old 5mp cybershot phone)

And overall its a VERY VERY usable phone.

3. Fake Name

Fake Name Well-Known Member

Picture quality looks great, plus why do you need some many colors? If you are worried that you pics of friends and family will look bad, it wount...Cuz if you look around most of people's clothing and other things are regular colors lol (I doubt you will see most of those 16mil colors anyway)

If you are still worried, I'd say PM any Hero owner, and talk to them about the phone, and from there you can make your decision

4. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey thanks guys for the quick reply's. Yeah I know..the big numbers are like WOW but I've seen a 65k screen VS 16Million and the 16Mill looks like it has more depth.

Watching things like BBC iPlayer a lot and videos on my N97 I want to know if video playback issues have been sorted now (heard it stuttered a lot) and does the quality look good?

Okay so camera is ok for getting the job done but Night time shots just won't happen.

How's the sound quality through headphones and speakers? I always listen to music and watch vids on my phone so this is important.

Also are there many apps to install? My brother always installs new apps everyday on his iphone..pointless they may be..but if he is bored he is entertained for a few hours lol...I want somehting like this too..but not an iphone

Thanks.

5. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

If you want to see the difference between 16 million colours (i.e. 32bit colour depth) and 64k colours (i.e. 16bit colour depth) then try changing the colour depth on your PC and see how much (or in fact how little) difference it makes.

Also: Apple are notoriously... um... shall we say... creative with the truth when it comes to their displays. Several iMac's have in the past been specified as being able to handle 16 million colours, but thats just what the mac will handle internally (the hero will also handle 16 million colours internally, as will any device capable of displaying a jpeg), while the screen is actually only capable of displaying that at a much lower colour depth.

FYI chances are your computer monitor and your fancy flatscreen TV arent actually capable of displaying 32bit colour depth.

P.S. Not sure where your friend got his info, Apple have never published colour depth info for the iPhone's screen, and i've seen some info saying the iphone only has 16bit depth the same as the hero, so.... *shrug*

P.P.S. while we're talking colours... that magenta text is vile.

P.P.P.S. check this thread