• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie help: Skype Lite on Pay as you go

lerc42

Lurker
Sep 20, 2009
Hi there,

this is my first post here since Im all new to all this, including using cellphones and the lot. I didnt know what 3G meant until yesterday so bear with me.
If there is another post that answers these questions, please point me to it so that I dont repeat. I have some newbie questions with regards to Skype Lite usage on a pay as you go plan and its costs.:thinking:

I just got my HTC Hero on Orange UK on a Pay as you Go. What I know is the following:

-It costs me 4 pounds for every MB that I use!!! ( I know, its a rip off on PAYG)
-If I access, browse, download anything on the Android Market I am being charged. But I already downloaded Skype Lite.
- If I receive a GoogleTalk IM, or Skype Lite IM, I am being charged since IM's use data and not minutes.
- I can buy an Extra add-on and surf the net unlimited for 1 pound a day (not too bad i guess)

Here are my questions:

I know Skype Lite on android USES MY MINUTES AND NOT MY DATA, right?
so,

- If I RECEIVE a call from someone else via Skype (They call me from their PC), am I using data or minutes?

- If it is minutes, is it right that this would be a totally FREE call FOR ME since the other person calls me on Skype, and INCOMING calls are FREE in the UK?

- Also, am I being charged for just being ONLINE without making calls or IM's in Skype?

Thanks everybody for this, I really appreciate it.

lerc42

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones