Newbie here again...tethering, possible or no???

Last Updated:

1. nardo89

nardo89 Well-Known Member

Ok so for a couple days now I've been doing more & more with this phone thanks to all of you guys who've provided me with top notch info, now I need help with this tethering business... I am rooted, have S-OFF, and am running Mobster ROM HD. I haven't been able to get any kind of tethering to work properly so that I actually can connect to the internet from my laptop which is running 64-Bit Windows 7 (not even sure if that's relevant). So far I've tried the actual WiFi tethering (couldn't connect to the internet). Then I tried usb tethering & got "error code 67" data failure message & another message saying something about me contacting sprint because my account does not include mobile hotspot & tethering. Then I tried the bluetooth tethering option, but couldn't figure out how. I turned on the bluetooth on my computer & phone, paired both of them, but then wasn't sure how to go about connecting to the internet :confused: ...

Before I got into this forum & started rooting & s-offing & stuff, I tried out Virgin's $15 Mobile Hotspot service for 1 month. After that month I took the Hotspot service back off of my VM account because I couldn't justify paying an extra $15 for such SLOW speeds...

2. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

Under Device Profile in the settings, are you using Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)?

If not, try that, then report back.
    nardo89 likes this.
  3. ochenta

ochenta Well-Known Member

stormyhigh and nardo89 like this.
  4. ramjet73

ramjet73 Well-Known Member

Most of the AOSP based ROM's have WiFi tethering built-in but if you need to use the WiFi Tether app on one of those ROM's you need the version linked from this post and also need to use the settings described there. That version of WiFi Tether also works on Sense 4.1 ROM's like Viper3D which is what it was originally created to support.

nardo89 likes this.
  5. Palmetto Fellow

You probably started typing before I did. You wrote a little more than I. :D
  6. nardo89

7. nardo89

You guys are awesome! Thanks again :)
  8. xthedakmanx

xthedakmanx Well-Known Member

Try the midnight rom series if you want to easily tether ^_^ they all have either a built in tether app (sense/senseless) or native working tethering (jellybean) ^_^
  9. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Well-Known Member

Using the Sprint Tether built into 4.0.4 on Unlocked Potential HD I get error 67. :/
  10. Palmetto Fellow

Don't use the sprint tether unless you're paying for it. You need a third party tether app.
  11. nardo89

Ok so Im running Dirty Unicorns 4.2.2 now and can't seem to get the built in wifi tether to work... I also tried using the 3rd party app called "WiFi Tether" and couldn't get that to work either
  12. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Did you go into settings and check generic ICS wlan0 and the routing fix, those are the options required to get the wifi tether app to work. :D
  13. nardo89

Didn't do the fix earlier that's probably it thanks
  14. nardo89

Still getting the show log errors "Configuring AP failed" & "Starting AP failed" ..not sure why, the WiFi tether app worked with Mobster HD
  15. gothicnerd1033

gothicnerd1033 Well-Known Member

PACman ROM is having this same issue. I dont think the wifi tethering works properly in 4.2.2 based ROMs.
  16. nardo89

oh ok, thanks