Newbie here, really basic question

Last Updated:

1. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello there,

I'm brand new to Android. I'm following the upcoming release(s) on VZW as I'll be eligible for a phone upgrade before too long. :)

I've read a little about Android be update-able on phones and I'm wondering how that works. Is it directly from Android developers or are there phone specific or carrier specific updates? Will it void any warranty or is it expected that you'll upgrade to keep it current. Maybe the upgrade-ability is one of the advantages of Android - you keep getting a device with the latest features with each update?

Anyway, any info (or simply links) that could offer more info would be most appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

Rae

Advertisement
  2. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

For a basic user...there is a simple and easy upgrade path..just wait. They have what is known as OTA (over the air) updates. Which means they send your phone a message, "would you like to update now?" (in case you were in the middle of things.) You accept and you are updated. Simple.

For applications you download, each developer can update their own app on their own schedule and most do. When they do they you also are notified but you have to go and manually (click a few buttons on the device) update, which then again happens OTA. Pretty easy. Sometimes it is best to wait and see if the comments on the update are positive.

Does that all make sense?

3. varaonaid

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I think it makes sense. So, it sounds like no need to download firmware or some such thing. Do the updates come from Android or the carrier or the phone manufacturer? Are the releases relatively regular? Are the original G1's getting updates (or going to get updates) to the newer versions like Donut and Eclair when they're released?

4. dkaufman1

If you know about "rooting" or what that means you could do all sorts of things on your own. But for most users, Google pushes out the update via your carrier approval. The updates come in two varieties. The major dessert kind like Donut. Or the security kind. The former being more exciting and filled with cool toys.

The G1 is for sure going to be supported for at least the next 3 updates which is a while now. Google knows the investment we all made in the device and understands it should last a while. They don't want to upset the base.

5. varaonaid

Very cool. Thanks for clarifying!

6. dkaufman1

Stick around here and jump into the fray for learning, commenting and what not. I have seen little talk about the VZ device, but according to what is being talked about the Motorola device announcements might eventually be what VZ gets.

Are the other networks that bad in your area? Or just your contract?

7. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

@dkaufman1: Maybe you can clear something up for me then. You told varaonaid to just wait until the update comes OTA, but I have a Rogers HTC Magic, and when the most recent security update/patch was released to fix bugs, I was told by Rogers I would have to download it manually from their web site and install it through my PC. There were even a number of threads about it on this forum.

So what is the truth? Is there a difference between security updates/patches like the one that went out recently, and the major upgrades like "donut", or is it that some people will have to download and install updates manually (because of carriers?) while others will get it OTA?

8. dkaufman1

This will probably get murkier over time, here's why...

I have a G1 on the Tmobile USA network and the phone is not rooted. (standard, if you will.)

You are on Rogers with a Magic. As more Androids show up on more carriers with more variations the procedures will vary.

So far in the US on Tmobile all major and security updates have been OTA. There has been no downloads via a website and install it yourself for the standard build.

The cool thing is this forum has many global users who might have various experiences to contribute and we should be able to sort out what we all know and get everyone some better answers.

9. Supadoodles

Supadoodles New Member

I'm going to go ahead and tack on another quick question (of similar nature).

Should I choose to go with the CLIQ - and it ships with Cupcake factory-installed - I assume I'll still be able to upgrade to Donut OTA, and keep the Blur UI intact?

Also... I assume it's possible to ditch Blur and go with the standard Vanilla UI, or whatever it's called?

10. dkaufman1

I think that Motorola and HTC will need to either get the SDK pre-launch (it is out now for devs according to others on this board who talked about Donut features). Then they upgrade Sense and Blur and then users get it sent to them/download it and install. If you can root the phone you can likely install a standard UI but without rooting I don't think the Sense or Blur OS presentation layer is able to be turned off. I only have a G1, so maybe someone else will weigh on this part.