Newbie here!

Last Updated:

1. georgiapeach

georgiapeach New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys! I'm Jessica, owner of a brand new Droid X on the Verizon wireless network. I retired my BB Curve (Alltel) and so far, I am lovin' the Droid!

I live in Georgia, and I have a wonderful hubby and two adorable kiddos! I think that's enough of a bio, now on to my questions!

EDIT: Removed my questions since I read the rules! So sorry!

EDIT again: Someone was kind enough to move my thread, so I'm putting my questions back in! LOL!

First, I live in rural Georgia, so much so that the only high speed internet available is HughesNet to the tune of $80 a month. Not willing to pay that, so I have a question about making my Droid X a mobile hotspot. How does that work? I turned it on (I'm smart enough to do that, thank goodness), and I even got my laptop to connect to it, but it won't connect to the internet. I get the two little computers in the bottom right hand corner, but no little globe (lol). Right now I'm using my trusty dialup, and I am SO over dialup. Is this something that can be done? Also, does it cost extra on my Verizon bill? If so, how much and how is it monitored?

Next question is about that stupid NSF Shift game app that came on the phone from the factory. I allowed my five year old to hold my Droid yesterday in the car, and when I got it back, the screen said "Thanks for your purchase". Holy hell! What did she purchase, how much did it cost me and where did it charge it to? Is there any way I can get that off? We really won't EVER play that game, so it's worthless to me, but apparently I've already paid for it! LOL! Help?!?

Next question is about apps that I KNOW I won't ever use. How to get rid of those? Example: Blockbuster. We don't even have a Blockbuster!

I think that's enough questions for my intro post, lol! I have more, but I'll save them and put them in separate threads.

Thanks in advance and it's nice to meet y'all! :)

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to the Android Forums community! Glad you signed up! Feel free to join the conversations! :D

Good Question, Jessica! The apps you don't need are called bloatware. They're always running and they slow down your system. They are there for Verizon to make more money off of. You can't get rid of them. Unless, that is, your phone is rooted. This means that you have gained access beyond what Verizon allows. We love discussing that here.

Another thing you can do with root is Wireless Tether. I have all of these and am willing to answer all of your questions. However, I will move your thread to the Droid Incredible root section. You can ask these questions there and get all the help you need! :D

Welcome, again!

4. georgiapeach

georgiapeach New Member This Topic's Starter

Oooh, that sounds scary and beyond my capabilities. I think I need the Geek Squad for Droid X!

5. TheCompBoy

TheCompBoy Well-Known Member

Welcome man, Hope we see each other around here!