newbie htc HELP ??Plz

Last Updated:

1. barriememo

barriememo New Member This Topic's Starter

hey everyone
    I just got it used hero from some one (telus hero)
    I like to unlock and root it? can your help this my frist time have HTC phone . I like to learn how to root ? what i should do now ? UNLOCK then Root it ? Or Root it then UNLOck any different?
    what version soft I should use to root it?
    thank you

Advertisement
  2. lildegregs22

lildegregs22 Well-Known Member

Rooting
    Code (Text):
    1. http://theunlockr.com/2009/11/07/how-to-root-your-cdma-htc-hero-sprint-verizon/
    Flashing A Recovery Image
    Code (Text):
    1. The rom flash is trickier than expected. You will need to actually go  into the sd card for this. So...
    3. Make sure you have the [URL="http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101691"]Recovery Image[/URL] and it is in AndroidSDK\Tools
    5. Type exit until you get to the C:\AndroidSDK\Tools>_
    7. Type this exactly: adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.1.img /sdcard/
    9. Once that is finished it will say something like it did it and tell you  it took 1 to 5 seconds.
    11. Now it will be back to C:\AndroidSDK\Tools>_
    13. Type adb shell
    15. will get $ so type cd /sdcard/
    17. will have $ again, type su
    19. will have # so type this exactly flash_image recovery  recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.1.img
    21. You know to press enter after every one I listed, this will repeat  recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.1.img if it worked if you get out of memory,  reset phone and box and repeat the steps exactly.
    23. When you think it worked: Power down phone. Power up holding volume down  and End key. If you are rooted you will get a white screen with 3  options. One of those options is to press home for recovery, press it  and you will either get the htc screen w green words or you will get a  phone with an exclamation point. The ! is a sign that you don't have a  recovery image installed correctly. The words is a great sign, continue  with back up from nandroid. Oh and don't partition your sd card until  you have backed it up!!
    25. Last thing, I can't encourage backing up with Nandroid enough!! I've  already used it 5 times!!
    27. Edited to include 1.5.1 which was brought over by [URL="http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=100999"]Bradart in this thread[/URL] So make sure to go by and  thank him too.
    29. Re-edited to include the 1.5.2 that I forgot about. I am running it, its  mint. Thanks Athlet1c.
    31. Here is [URL="http://www.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=amon_ra/RECOVERY/&file=recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img"]1.2.3[/URL] Some people need it because  straight to 1.5.2 can be bad on a first root.
    Flashing A Rom
    Code (Text):
    1. To flash a rom to your hero:
    3. Make sure you are root, have a recovery image loaded, and have backed up  your phone using Nandroid. I am not responsible for your mistakes! Now,  the good stuff.
    5. Download the file you want and name it whatever you want, some people  name it update.zip because that's an option in your recovery but I  suggest naming it "the name of the rom"1.zip Don't unzip it, and if  there are any add-ons offered that you want download them and name them  "name of rom"2.zip and so on, don't unzip these either.
    7. Put all of the rom files on the ROOT of the SD card.
    9. Reboot into recovery, power down, then hold volume down and press end  key while holding volume down. You will get a white screen, press home,  and you are in recovery.
    11. Choose: Apply sdcard:choose zip. This will let you pick what rom you  want to flash. Choose the first and let it go through. Make sure this is  the rom and not add-ons. Then go back into recovery and do the same for  2 and 3 or however many you have. When it boots back up you are set to  go!
    13. Modaco's does not require a wipe, but do make sure you have backed up  all your info just in case!!!
    15. Side note: If you have A2SD2 that is automatic like Modaco's its ok if  you aren't set up when you flash. Go in and back up your storage card to  your pc 1st!! Then go back into recovery like stated before and choose  Partition SD Fat32, Ext2, Swap, this will set it up. When done choose  reboot now.
    17. When it boots up put all your files back on your SD card and look in  settings>SD & Phone Storage, at the bottom that number should now  be in the 60's or 70's. Mine was 36, now its 72. It will still  fluctuate a little, but you are in better shape either way.
    I do not take responsibility to what happens to your device.
    Thanks to thacounty for these tutorials.