Newbie ? -> I have root (card method) can I/shld I reroot w/ Unrevoked 4ever

Last Updated:

1. falltime

falltime Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I am a newbie at the whole rooting thing, although not a complete moron in general.
    I rooted using the SD-Card method (is there another name for this) and sort of stopped following root developments (cause I got Wifi teather which was all I really needed).
    So now I see there is a new (simple) root method called unrevoked 4ever that (at least according to the tweets) would give me root through the Froyo upgrade (if it ever comes).

Originally I figured I'd just take the upgrade (lose root) and then wait for a new method - but if the unrevoked 4ever will let me just keep root (not interested in different Roms or radios - just want wifi teather and LCD flashlight) then maybe I should just do that - but can I? - can I root ontop of root?
    Essentially I am looking for a simple explanation of my options at this point (root w/ SdCard method+stock everything else). I apologize in advance if this has been answered before but I cannot find an on-point thread dealing with a sd-card root vs. unrevoked 4ever root and the implications of Froyo update.

So any insight here would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

Unrevoked forever is not Root. It is NAND unlock. With nand unlock, you can install a custom recovery after you do the official OTA to froyo. The custom recovery will give you SU permissions again aka root.

If you did the SD card method, you might want to do Unrevoked3. It is the easy root method. By doing this, you will be updated to the latest clockwork. Check out the info here: public:unrevoked2 [RootWiki]

Download it from here: http://downloads.unrevoked.com/recovery/3.1/reflash_package.exe

Here is the info about Unrevoked Forever: http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever

Cheers!

3. falltime

Ok thanks but
    If I do the unrevoked 4ever I assume then I can reflash with the stock froyo distro WITH root - no?

And also can I do unrevoked 4ever over sd-card root?

2nd - if I already have root what is the advantage (or disadvantage) to doing unrevoked3 (not sure what latest clockwork does for me) - and does it make sense to do it now (with pre-froyo) since I assume OTA Froyo will kill the unrevoked3 root

Thanks in advance for any input

4. MathewS81

MathewS81 Well-Known Member

That would be a good assumption. The unrevoked people put this on Twitter on Wednesday:

5. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yeah, you can do Unrevoked3 over your old skool root. I rooted the old way too and elected to do Unrvevoked3 anyway. I THINK Forever would load since you are rooted but personally, I'd do Unrevoked3 first, then Forever if you elect to go that route.

6. falltime

Thanks - what is the "downside' of going that root - unrevoked3 ->unrevoked4ever?

7. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that, as of now (as far as I know), you cannot undo unrevoked4ever. I personally am waiting until (hopefully) there is an undo for it.