• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newbie - Just Rooted Rezound, Now What

briggss3

Apr 30, 2012
Seeing that I have 2 Rezounds still working great and both on Vz Unlimited Data, I decided to root and take advantage of Titanium Backup (done). So I now have this rooted phone that is outdated. I want to drag it along as far as possible before I go out of pocket on a new phone.

So its August 2014 and all threads are 2+ years old. Now what should I do with my s-on rooted Rezound? I am interested in a cool functional ROM, but its near impossible to sift through all of the list to find out what is most up-to-date and proven.

More important, I rooted to tether my iPad to my Unlimited Data plan, and I have no idea which tethering app/approach to follow. Again, all things I find are from 2012.

Help:thinking:
Steven

Go over the Rezound forums on XDA... seriously... it is the only place that development is actually taking place for the Rezound, and the developers are really good and friendly.

I don't have a Rez anymore, but I had one for a long time... if you are really interested in extending the life of this phone you should look at going S-OFF as soon as possible, and it is no longer required to do the "wire trick" now that Rumrunner S-Off works on this device.

I would look at AICP, OMNI-Rom, LiquidSmooth, AOKP, or CyanogenMod (there are a solid dozen more available currently)... all are actively being developed and compiled for the Rezound, many on a nightly or weekly basis.

The old guides are still pretty accurate, just substitute the latest TWRP 2.7.1.1 for references to Amon Ra, and SuperSU for Superuser, other than that most of the stuff is still pretty accurate. You should try to S-OFF as soon as possible after getting a custom ROM loaded (it is a requirement of rumrunner to have a custom ROM), if something goes wrong and you are on the latest firmware (which you most likely have) it can be almost impossible to recover if you are S-ON.

Upvote 0
Not to be a total Goob here, but what's next. I am now S-off running Liquidsmooth ROM, which seems pretty nice. How do I take advantage of s-off now? I see things about radio updates, TWRP, etc. Are these imbedded in the ROM whaen I flashed it? I guess I am just trying to assure my phone is as up-to-date as possible. It works great and I hope to get a few more years out of it.

Upvote 0
Not to be a total Goob here, but what's next. I am now S-off running Liquidsmooth ROM, which seems pretty nice. How do I take advantage of s-off now? I see things about radio updates, TWRP, etc. Are these imbedded in the ROM whaen I flashed it? I guess I am just trying to assure my phone is as up-to-date as possible. It works great and I hope to get a few more years out of it.

Radios haven't been updated in a long time... You probably have current ones. TWRP 2.7.1.1 is current.

Being S-Off is more important from a recovery standpoint if things go wrong... But it does allow the boot.IMG to be flashed directly from the device, as well as unsigned radios (which there are none for the Rezound).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones