• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie Q - Phone book lists SIM and Google names = duplicates

mmiller2002

Aug 1, 2010
When i use the phone function, I see duplicates of many names because it displays both my SIM contacts and Google contacts (my phone contacts are zero). How can i just set it to google contacts when using "Phone"?

Thanks

BTW - this whole multiple contact lists thing does not seem to be the best sorted out arrangement (Phone, SIM, Google).

Can anyone confirm the the SIM list can't handle email addresses?

I really hated the linking of google to phone to SIM to facebook, because if you ever have to reset your phone its a huge pain in the ass to do them all over again.

I also was coming from a windows phone that synced to Microsoft Outlook
(SIM cards are also obsolete I feel. They only hold basic information)

My solution was to just make everything into google contacts. How?

1. In outlook export all contacts to vCard format (which can be opened nicely in excel for further editing)
2. Export all contacts from SIM card to vCard format
2b. Export all phone contacts to vCard format (but you really should of been saving all new numbers as google contacts to start)

3. In Excel quickly glance over all the many fields (majority of which will be empty anyways) and edit as needed. Personally I only kept Names, Emails, Phone Numbers

4. In Gmail, Import various vCard files. They will be added to you My Contacts
5. There is a merge all duplicate options. You can double check the sited entries before going through with the merger. It's more or less 100% accurate in my opinion.

6. If there are any discrepancies like 2 different mobile numbers/or emails, both will be saved. You can go back and choose which to keep or keep both

Delete all outlook/sim/phone. you can make a master vCard from google contacts before hand for your paranoia

Voila all your contacts are now google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones