Newbie Q's, ROM & Back up

Last Updated:

1. RemArcs

RemArcs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All
    Firstly I've been lurking for a while and this forum has helped me a great deal to get the most out of my now much loved Hero and android in general.

Question1
    I visited the HTC website to upgrade my ROM. There are 2 listed "ROM Upgrade for HTC Hero" and "ROM Upgrade for HTC Hero (Orange)" As you can see i'm with orange. If I upgrade to NON orange will it be ok? Will it just get rid of orange logos etc or will some operations stop working?

HTC - Support - HTC Hero - Software Download

Question2
    When I upgrade It says that you should back up. Does this mean just my personal files or can you back up all my apps so I don't have to customize them ALL AGAIN! after re-installing.

Thanks in advance. I hope this is not going over the same ground. I have searched for the answers.

RemArcs:)

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

A belated "welcome" to you! Glad you've found AF a useful resource.

You can't upgrade to the generic ROM that way; it's keyed to your device serial number and will only allow d/l of the correct ROM for your carrier.

HTC are only referring to user data as there's no built-in backup app, but several are available via the Market which will allow backup of app settings.

3. RemArcs

RemArcs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply Slug:)