Newbie query on the whole Google thing

Last Updated:

1. biker74

biker74 Well-Known Member Contributor This Topic's Starter

Hi All

Had an iphone and a Blackberry, so the Desire is my first HTC/Android phone. Noticed the today that all my contacts are on my contacts on Gmail, I never put them there, so obviously the phone syncs up to google and managed to get calendars running as well, great. Was curious to know though; this is probably I really ignorant question, but, if say Google went totally down would my contacts still be available on my phone, you know, once they are on my phone, are they there to stay? So, if I scrubbed my phone and got the contacts from Google again.

Advertisement
  2. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

They sync between your phone and Google. So, if Google is offline at all then you still have the contacts (and calendar) on your phone. When Google is online again then any changes you make on the phone data is sync'd to Google.

If you get a new phone or upgrade the OS or however else wipe your phone, then yes, all the contacts and calender entries will re-sync back from Google to your new/wiped handset.

3. bigtart

bigtart Active Member

Or you can look into the Synthesis AG SyncML client for android and use a supported mail server.

4. Willie Heckerslyke

Willie Heckerslyke Well-Known Member

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but as it's title says 'newbie' thought it an appropriate thread to add/ask something else re: google.....

When I imported all my contacts off my sim, they were categorised as 'Phone' contacts. Is there any way to change all the contacts to 'Google' so I can sync with my Google acct?

5. brykins

Willie 'Eck - I don't think there is any way to change the contact type. I've certainly not found it!

6. Willie Heckerslyke

Willie Heckerslyke Well-Known Member

Bah...humbug! :(:mad:

Any suggestions how to get all my contacts sync'd to google another way then...anyone??

7. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

Yes - Go to people>menu>import/export>export to SD card.
    Then in people again select>menu>delete>menu>delete all
    Then in people again select menu>import/export>import from SD card>select 'google' type
    Job done - I did it this way and it works a charm!

brykins likes this.
  8. brykins

Thanks for that Si - will remember that tip!

9. stringent

stringent Well-Known Member

Except it groups the numbers into 3-3-5's or something and puts hyphens in between them which really annoys me!!

10. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

It does, but it at least works when you dial!

11. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

I've corrected the number formats by exporting to CSV and doing it in Excel. It was a fiddly operation, had to do text to columns, IF, OR & AND formulae and some very careful formatting.

Then a delete of my contacts in Google and import the CSV file back in, eeeK! (don't worry I backed up first ;))

Quite a bit of effort for something which only serves to cure a bit of OCD and nothing else! But it can be done - I can probably issue some help on how to do it at some point, or perhaps write a macro to do it automatically.