Newbie questions about Android OS and Media Apps

Last Updated:

1. pw-man

pw-man Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, by way of introduction, I am a long time WM user, considering an Android phone in the near future...

While I generally am pleased with the various WM phones I have had, there have always been a few things that I am wondering whether or not they work better on Android phones.

Your thoughts and feedback are most appreciated!

1. Dialing - As a business user, I have a calendar full of appointments that have dial in #'s... often times with passcodes required to access the specific conference. They might be embedded in the entry name, the description and/or location field...

e.g. 1-877-xxx-xxxx, passcode xxxxxx

In later releases of WM, the OS tried to highlight them so I could one-click dial... that would often work for the phone number... but then I would have to try to remember the passcode, etc... always a pain...

How does android deal with this?

2. Music / Media - It is a requirement for me that my phone also act as a media device, since I do not wish to deal with a second device such as an iPod, Zune,etc. My current phone does a very good job with this, including synching effectively with my media files, stored on a home server, via Media Monkey.

My biggest gripe is that my current WM phone is not able to deal with mp3 meta data to improve my music experience, specifically:
    - Last date/time played
    - # of times played
    - user rating

Are there any strong media apps in the Android world that are recommended that support this functionality?

Thanks!!!

Advertisement
  2. pw-man

bingo, bongo, bump... at least I waited 3 months before bumping :)

More seriously.. I am even more and more tempted to drop my Omnia II for a Fascinate ... though the GPS and lag issues have me a bit spooked... but I still don't know the answer to either of these questions... the first one being the most important...

Thanks all!!!!!!!

3. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

For the dialing thing I just create a contact with the phone number and the dialing code in it. You can use "," comma characters to insert a pause. So I have the phone number, a coupe of pauses and the passcode followed by a #. Then I just call that contact and it just works.

For music I've had a lot of luck with using Media Monkey and the Cubed media player. It gets all the album art and play lists. But I don't it does anything with the fields you mentioned.

4. pw-man

Thanks, I do that today with a number of "standard" phone numbers... but I get quiet a few calendar entries that are one-offs, where it doesn't make sense to do that...

Do the 2.1 (or Froyo) OS support any kind of smart # recognition across the phone, in that it will find phone numbers and enable easy dialing???

Thanks!!!

5. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Android does a pretty good job at music and media playback. Or at least good enough for me. :p

The problem with those that you listed, is that they are non-standard mp3 tags. So its a crapshoot whether or not an app supports them, and they may not work across all players.

Meridian I know for sure allows you to rate songs, but I don't believe it reads them if they are rated from your PC.

6. pw-man

Thanks! Yeah, I know they are non-standard tags... and I'm asking alot... but I like to know more about what I am getting into.