• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie Questions about firmware update

AndyP2002

Lurker
Jun 2, 2012
Hi, first post here, be gentle...

My wife has a Galaxy Ace, our first Android phone.

The Samsung Kies PC software is suggesting a firmware update to the phone (let's not get into rooting etc. yet!) but warns that I should back up data before updating, as it might get lost.

However, the Kies software only has very basic backup facilities - just contacts and bookmarks!

I realise I can get/buy extra apps to allow backup of SMS messages, but before I go down that line I thought I'd ask, are we likely to lose her messages and other stuff (pictures, music, recordings etc) .or not on a "normal" software update?

Thanks for any tips.

If the upgrade goes well, you will not have any data loss, however i would suggest you use some app to backup your data onto your sd card, just in case because there have been many incidences with Kies upgrade failure.
I would recommend My Backup Lite/Pro, it can backup your messages, phone book, logs etc.
You can also sync your phonebook and calender with google to backup them separately. Or import contacts to the sd card in a .vcf file.

P.S if you are using a windows OS make sure you have 1gb or more ram, Kies can crash during upgrade if there is less ram available.

Upvote 0
If everything goes well there should be no data loss but companies put that warning to cover their A... in case of problems & someone goes to court.:D I use 'MyPhoneExplorer' FJ Software Development for backups/sync/uploading/downloading transferring files etc. It does more than KIES except updating the OS. Also see Socrates you might find it interesting

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones