• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newbie Questions motorola triumph

kaymarie

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
I'm quite new to the whole tinkering with your phone scene. I recently wanted to update my motorola triumph from 2.2 to 2.3 but seeing there was no update from Virgin Mobile, I set out to the internet to find a way to do it.
I ended up downloading cyanogenmod 7 (restored I think).
As far as I know, I downloaded it all correctly but I still have fears of "bootlooping" or "bricking". When do these things usually occur?
And if I have cyanogenmod 7, is my phone considered rooted?
Sorry for the newbie questions, just trying to figure everything out.:rolleyes:

I'm quite new to the whole tinkering with your phone scene. I recently wanted to update my motorola triumph from 2.2 to 2.3 but seeing there was no update from Virgin Mobile, I set out to the internet to find a way to do it.
I ended up downloading cyanogenmod 7 (restored I think).
As far as I know, I downloaded it all correctly but I still have fears of "bootlooping" or "bricking". When do these things usually occur?
And if I have cyanogenmod 7, is my phone considered rooted?
Sorry for the newbie questions, just trying to figure everything out.:rolleyes:

Did you just take CM7 from source or did you install one of the versions made for this phone, you have to use a version that is made for the phone or it won't work correctly or at all really. I would recommend the MTDEV version, most things work on it you can find it here: http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/590069-rom-mtdev-cm7-build-2012-12-28-a.html make sure you follow the standard install instructions as well (it is also recommended that you make a backup first), Clear Cache, Factory reset, Clear Dalvik Cache, then install rom and install gapps

Upvote 0
Did you just take CM7 from source or did you install one of the versions made for this phone, you have to use a version that is made for the phone or it won't work correctly or at all really. I would recommend the MTDEV version, most things work on it you can find it here: http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/590069-rom-mtdev-cm7-build-2012-12-28-a.html make sure you follow the standard install instructions as well, Clear Cache, Factory reset, Clear Dalvik Cache, then install rom and install gapps

I made sure to get CM7 made for the motorola triumph. I actually found the specific directions on this site and did everything you said except clear Dalvik Cache. Could that become an issue in the future?

Upvote 0
I made sure to get CM7 made for the motorola triumph. I actually found the specific directions on this site and did everything you said except clear Dalvik Cache. Could that become an issue in the future?

Not clearing the Dalvik Cache means there could be leftovers from the old version, and could cause your problem because you came from 2.2->2.3, it is always recommended that you clear both, because there could be leftovers that hang something up. So just try it again but make sure you clear both Caches this time, the Clear Dalvik Cache option is in the advanced menu in recovery.

Reactions: kaymarie
Upvote 0
Okay thanks! I'll trying "flashing" it again. I think that's the terminology you use? Haha.
So if I want to download rooted apps, do I actually have to root it with gingerbreak or does downloading cyanogenmod 7 means it's already rooted?

I would assume you would have already rooted before installing CM7, though having CM7 doesn't automatically mean you have root access, gingerbreak is a good way to root the phone if you need too, CM7 does install superuser but if the phone isn't rooted that won't do much of anything, here is the guid to rooting http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/455603-guide-rooting-your-motorola-triumph.html if you aren't sure about rooting, if you think you have already done it you can always download an app like rootchecker a free app on google play, which will tell you if you have root access

Upvote 0
I would assume you would have already rooted before installing CM7, though having CM7 doesn't automatically mean you have root access, gingerbreak is a good way to root the phone if you need too, CM7 does install superuser but if the phone isn't rooted that won't do much of anything, here is the guid to rooting http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/455603-guide-rooting-your-motorola-triumph.html if you aren't sure about rooting, if you think you have already done it you can always download an app like rootchecker a free app on google play, which will tell you if you have root access

Oops no, I did not root before installing CM7. I hope I didn't screw it up. :(
So just to be sure, rooting with gingerbreak AFTER installing CM7 is safe? I'm really trying to avoid messing up the phone but I just can't stand the stock rom/features/looks EVERYTHING!

Upvote 0
Oops no, I did not root before installing CM7. I hope I didn't screw it up. :(
So just to be sure, rooting with gingerbreak AFTER installing CM7 is safe? I'm really trying to avoid messing up the phone but I just can't stand the stock rom/features/looks EVERYTHING!

probably not that big of a deal, i believe our phone actually shipped with root access, so far as I know it is fine to use gingerbreak on CM7 or any other rom to root the phone, the one benefit of this phone is it is pretty damn hard to actually brick, should be fine to use gingerbreak on CM7

Upvote 0
probably not that big of a deal, i believe our phone actually shipped with root access, so far as I know it is fine to use gingerbreak on CM7 or any other rom to root the phone, the one benefit of this phone is it is pretty damn hard to actually brick, should be fine to use gingerbreak on CM7

Just so everyone know, the ROMs come ROOTed. All but the stock ROM, but even that one has the binaries (programs) for it, they just need to be linked. Don't ask, if you are on a non stock ROM, you don't need to do it.

And when you format your /cache partition (clear cache) you are clearing the dalvik cache also. There can be reminants, like in all forms of formatting, but I would just reclear the /cache partition.

And yeah, it's pretty hard to brick. BSidz seems to be the best at coming back from a bricked state.

Upvote 0
my triumph is rooted. i cannot use clockworkmod to extract the cm7 zip from sd card. i keep gettin an exclamation point n droid robot symbol. i've downloaded several times clock work mod, cm7, and what not, nothing seems to work. is there a number i can call one of you techies at?????? skype?????? so i can show you visuals. i just reset my phone. now im even more confused than when i first started. at least my phone is rooted, but what good does that do if i cant even install cm7 on my triumph. HELP. :thinking:

Upvote 0
my triumph is rooted. i cannot use clockworkmod to extract the cm7 zip from sd card. i keep gettin an exclamation point n droid robot symbol. i've downloaded several times clock work mod, cm7, and what not, nothing seems to work. is there a number i can call one of you techies at?????? skype?????? so i can show you visuals. i just reset my phone. now im even more confused than when i first started. at least my phone is rooted, but what good does that do if i cant even install cm7 on my triumph. HELP. :thinking:

Why does everybody root then try to flash a ROM I don't know.

It sounds like you are pressing the power button. That is how you work some of the recovery menus. Most of them have the menu (the four square soft key) as the enter key.
Try again and use the menu button. I bet that will get you to where you want to go. Any more issues post in the thread of the clockwork recovery you used.

Upvote 0

it sounds like you may be trying to un-zip the rom on your sdcard. Do not do that, simply use clockorkmod to "install" the zip file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones